conflicting modification

• Level 5*

It means that you edited the same note on separate devices without syncing properly. You need to serialize your editing: open first device, sync from servers, edit a note, sync to servers, open other device, sync from servers, edit the note, sync to servers.

• 2 months later...

@jefito RE: "You need to serialize your editing: open first device, sync from servers, edit a note, sync to servers, open other device, sync from servers, edit the note, sync to servers."

I'm not certain I completely understand how this will resolve my problem.  Let me state my understanding and please correct me if I am incorrect.

I save my passwords in Evernote on three devices: laptop, iPhone, and iPad.  I just now realized that there is an appended note - actually several, 5 to be exact - to my original EN note, stored on my laptop, that states the conflcting modification condition and the date of the occurance.  After researching this condition I initially thought I would need to print out each conflicting note and then compare to find and resolve the conflicts.  My concern was that the first note contained an incorrect listing for a website, coincidentlly the Evernote site; however based on these comments I must assume that I must have changed the password on one of my other devices, then closed the device thinking the EN program had synchronized.

So, in my example, I will:

1. synch my laptop then print out the entire note with all 5 conflicts

2. correct all the conflicts in the Primary Note

3. erase the conflicting notes segments

4. synch the laptop

5. Synch the next device

6. correct all of the entries to the Primary Note

7. Cycle through remaining steps until all EN notes on all devices are corrected

I'm sorry if this sounds pedantic, and I think I clarified this for myself after writing out my thought process, but if you coudl confirm or deny I would appreciate it.

• Level 5*

I save my passwords in Evernote on three devices: laptop, iPhone, and iPad.

GazaB:  Your process looks good to me, but I'll let Jefito give you the definitive response since it was his suggestion.

I just wanted to make one suggestion:  Consider using a dedicated password app like 1Password or LastPass.

These are much more secure than Evernote, and much easier to use.

I have been using 1Password on my Mac and iOS devices for several years now, and it works great.

Whenever I need to login to a web site, a simple hot key autofills the UserName and Password from 1Password.

It is also very convenient to keep credit/debit card info for easy autofill on most web site.

Finally, you can also keep all of your software keys/serial#/registration codes in 1Password.

And 1Password will sync across all your devices via Dropbox.

IAC, good luck.

• Level 5*

I'm sorry if this sounds pedantic, and I think I clarified this for myself after writing out my thought process, but if you coudl confirm or deny I would appreciate it.

The highlighted clause is classic; something we all should do more often. I've helped more people by asking them to explain what they were thinking and then not really paying attention too much, waiting for the "Oh wait, I see what I was doing now" moment to hit them. :)

But basically, that sounds fine; you could also just make a new Primary Note with your best idea of what the actual note should contain. Sync that device, and make sure the note is propagated all around your other devices, and then delete the conflicts wherever you find them. Thereafter, serialize your syncs before proceeding to another device.

Archived