sharing notebooks - troubleshooting in Windows

TeaTime

Good afternoon,

I have shared notebooks with colleagues who are using Evernote using the Windows version, but they are not able to see the contents, only the title. They click on 'sync' and on the title of the notebook, but no notes appear.

Previously, we were sharing notebooks without using the Work Chat feature, but now that we are sending links this way, it's no longer working. Do I need to change a setting on my account to enable Work Chat sharing of notebooks?

Better yet, is there a workaround so that I can share notebooks as we were before (i.e. without the Work Chat)?

Thanks very much,

- Emily

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi

If you right-click the notebook name in List view,  you should get a 'share' menu and an email invite to sharees which they can 'join' - though I think everyone still needs an Evernote account to accept the share.  I'm not sure what the receiving end of a Work Chat communication looks like,  but I think it's meant to share notes,  not notebooks.

Notebooks I've shared with my partner are still working but since this new Work Chat has been implemented I cannot seem to share any more notebooks. Nothing is appearing in her Evernote to show she has a new notebook. I've tried sending a reminder but it says no emails selected but there is nowhere to select emails.

Totally confused now...!! 

I used to just click on 'Share', enter my partner's e-mail and it would appear in her notebook. This time it comes up with a 'Share in Work Chat' box. I enter her e-mail, click 'Send' but the box just stays there and nothing appears in my partner's notebooks.

• Level 5*

Apologies - there seem to have been changes around here while I wasn't looking.  All attempts to 'share' a notebook go via Work Chat - and if you don't fill in an email address for the intended target person(s),  the window just closes without result.  I've right clicked on the notebook name,  gone to the notebook page and clicked the 'Share' button,  and tried the edit menu options.  As of this update at least (5.8.1.6061),  although I'm a Premium member I don't seem able to allow someone else to see or edit one of my notebooks without using Chat.

Not sure if this is an improvement or a backward step,  but this is how to do it.  Launch the chat window by right-clicking on the notebook,  type your wife's email address in the top box (the one that says helpfully 'enter name or email').  Then click Send at the bottom of that window.  Your wife will receive an email that says you sent her a chat. 

If she clicks "Reply in Evernote",  an Evernote Web window will open to log in and she can click on your chat request and the notebook name to download the complete notebook.

I just shared a notebook with myself pretty easily this way,  but it is a completely different process than the one we've been used to for some years. 

Developer guys! - Just a suggestion;  if you're going to change something this much,  it's really worth a headsup to every who's using the 'old' service,  if not to all your customers explaining they need to learn new skills!

Edit:  OK I'll let you off.  The instructions are here - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/24973036  - but once I know how to do things I tend not to look at the 'how to' guide to see if someone changed the rules...  <sigh>

• Level 5*

In fairness, the Evernote folks -- Jackolicious & SoftwareMarcus in particular -- have been pretty forthright about the Work Chat thing, probably more so in the Mac side of things, as there's where it debuted, and where a lot of hue & cry is about it.

There's also this blog post, btw: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/12/18/work-together-accomplish-work-chat/

• Level 5*

:)  Just had another grizzle in another thread.. I guess it doesn't make much difference in the sharing process overall,  but it's annoying when my muscle memory suddenly doesn't work because someone changed the rules...again...

• Level 5*

It's been a while for me too - I think there was always an email to say a notebook had been shared to you - whether you were also notified when starting your own Evernote I can't recall.  Having tried out the new process a but more I guess it's not much different from the original - except you fill in different details in a different pop-up - bit I think it's a bit confusing.

The person I share a note with gets a "Gaz wants to chat with you" message,  and has to create an account first if they don't already have one.  Unless I pre-warn them I'd think a lot of people are then going to respond to my intended simple share by coming back in Chat with a "what did you want?" so I have to explain "No - ignore that - I just wanted to share that notebook as we discussed..."  And then when I do want to chat,  they're going to ignore me for a while and then ask "Was that a notebook you were trying to share with me last week?"

There is a 'comments' field in the share menu,  so I'll have to come up with a suitable standard text...

Archived