sharing notebooks

Hi

Our school is creating notebooks for each child (it is a pre-school) to use during parent - teacher conferences.  Is there a way to save the notebooks or the  presentation version as a PDF to print or email to the parents.  Parents do not have evernote.

Thanks

Kathy

• Level 5*

Hi.

If you have some way to print to PDF files,  all you need do is select all the notes in a child's notebook and use Print - choose your local PDF printer for the output.  There's no way to print directly from Presentation mode,  but there are screen capture apps out there that might record a presentation for you and allow you to create an MP4 video file.  As a sort of compromise between both those approaches (but not available quite yet) Microsoft have a new app called Office Sway (as in 'swaying opinion' I guess) which makes it easy to put presentations together.  I don't know what it's output options are,  but it might help create a more professional look.

You'll have to play with some of the possibilities and see what works for you - try searching around the 'Evernote for schools' forum too - here:  https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/90-evernote-for-schools/

Edit:  meant to include this Sway link too - http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/01/announcing-office-sway-reimagine-ideas-come-life/

• Level 5*

Hi

Our school is creating notebooks for each child (it is a pre-school) to use during parent - teacher conferences.  Is there a way to save the notebooks or the  presentation version as a PDF to print or email to the parents.  Parents do not have evernote.

Thanks

Kathy

IMO, your best solution is to push for the parents to use Evernote.  Since Evernote is free and is available for just about all platforms, it seems like this should be easily achievable.  You could then, of course, just share each child's notebook with his/her parents, in read-only mode.  If some of the parents can't afford a computer, I'd bet there are donors who would be glad to help.

JM, you're forgetting that getting a computer is the cheaper part of the battle. Getting and keeping an active internet connect is the hard part. If parents can't afford to pay a monthly internet bill, a cheap or free computer is of no use. And while I agree kids should be learning tech young as it is the way of the world now, I don't think it should be a mandatory, so to speak, for parents to possess expensive tech to communicate with the the teachers of their very young students.

Hi

Our school is creating notebooks for each child (it is a pre-school) to use during parent - teacher conferences. Is there a way to save the notebooks or the presentation version as a PDF to print or email to the parents. Parents do not have evernote.

Thanks

Kathy

IMO, your best solution is to push for the parents to use Evernote. Since Evernote is free and is available for just about all platforms, it seems like this should be easily achievable. You could then, of course, just share each child's notebook with his/her parents, in read-only mode. If some of the parents can't afford a computer, I'd bet there are donors who would be glad to help.

• Level 5*

JM, you're forgetting that getting a computer is the cheaper part of the battle. Getting and keeping an active internet connect is the hard part. If parents can't afford to pay a monthly internet bill, a cheap or free computer is of no use. And while I agree kids should be learning tech young as it is the way of the world now, I don't think it should be a mandatory, so to speak, for parents to possess expensive tech to communicate with the the teachers of their very young students.

IMO, your best solution is to push for the parents to use Evernote. Since Evernote is free and is available for just about all platforms, it seems like this should be easily achievable. You could then, of course, just share each child's notebook with his/her parents, in read-only mode. If some of the parents can't afford a computer, I'd bet there are donors who would be glad to help.

Good point Wordsgood.  So allowances for those that don't have access to the Internet must be made.

However I still think the best plan is to use Evernote, with a printout as a backup.

Also, there are lots of places today that provide free wi-fi, and then there's always the library and work.

BTW, parents don't need any tech to communicate with the teacher.  They just need to show up at the Parent-Teachers conference, or at the school any time they have a concern.

Archived