Can't sync after password change

antzus

Ok I kept searching the internet until it started sending me in loops, so now I have to post afresh.

I can't sync anymore after changing my password.

I've tried: updating, logging-out, deleting the database, changing the password back to the old password, re-installing.
With all my attempts to get a functioning piece of software, the message is always the same - it can't authenticate when trying to sync. It seems my dear Evernote has given up on me.
Incidentally, I changed my password only because Evernote told me to, after having their databases hacked. I now wish I hadn't.

Any useful suggestions?

Addendum: web-login works fine, btw (hence was able to change passwords back and forth).

As of yesterday, Evernote has locked out anyone using Windows XP. If you are, like me, you won't be able to sync your Evernote. However, they say if you have Service Pack 3, you can, but no luck. It seems the Evernote people would rather us go to One Note or some other software tool than use their product. I, for one, am not going to buy a new system just to please Evernote.

I'd like to know what to do, but you have to have a premium account to do that. 

• Level 5*

@antzus:

Please Review the EN KB Article  Troubleshoot Sync Issues to see if that helps.

If not, then I suggest you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Bob Brooke: That's something I should have mentioned. I'm doing all this in Win XP, but have been using Service Pack 3 already for a long time. It's been a happy union with Evernote for over a year. The only thing that's changed today (the only thing connected to this not working) on my end was the password change. As you say, it might just be co-incidence, and that the failure stems from something Evernote had scheduled on breaking yesterday, server-side.

JMichael: Thanks for the advice. Going through the troubleshoot checklist didn't help, so I submitted a BUG report like you suggested. Support ticket #774367.

• Level 5*

If we're not talking XP here, Dave Engberg says that the SSL3 lockout won't affect your syncing.  Seems to me it's a good idea to fix all the browsers you might use anyway (ie switch off SSL3 and TSL on, if it isn't already).  The same post gives some useful links to sites that check your Poodle Exposure (not a phrase I expected ever to use...) and the ways to switch security settings in a lot of browsers...  http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2014/10/16/evernote-and-poodle/#comment-137154

• Level 5*

Seems to me it's a good idea to fix all the browsers you might use anyway (ie switch off SSL3 and TSL on, if it isn't already).  

Gaz, I don't think the SSL3 etc settings are done on a per browser basis.  They are set in the Windows Control Panel > Internet Options, and once set there apply to all browsers.  IAC, the issue people are having is with the EN Win desktop, uses the settings I referenced above.

Evernote CTO Dave Engberg made this clear in the link you provided:

Dave Engberg

October 20, 2014 at 7:04 am  | link

Firefox isn’t relevant. You need to be able to connect to https://evernote.com/ from Internet Explorer.

If you can’t connect to our secure web site (or Twitter, etc.) from Internet Explorer, then follow the instructions in

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/poodle-fix-how-to,news-19775.html

The Internet Explorer > Internet Options is just a link to the Win Control Panel.

• Level 5*

The tomsguide link gives instructions on how to change the settings in a variety of browsers,  but I get what you're saying - if the IE / Control Panel options are set correctly that should limit all access to SSL3,  not just to one browser. 

Update from OP: It's working! Big thanks to Candid and the link he provided there. Actually I'm impressed this support forum is so active and... supportive! Thanks all.

For those wondering, switching off SSL3 and turning on TLS in "Internet Options" did it.

Interestingly, my default browser (Opera) already had SSL3 off and TLS on, despite it being one and half years old with no updates since. Can Opera see the future? Or is it secretly responsible for the SSL3 secruity bug?! </conspiracy_rant>

• Level 5*

Update:  I followed the tomsguide links to test and then Poodle-fix my Chrome and Firefox browsers,  retested and then confirmed they were not subject to attack.  Then I looked at the Control Panel Internet Options - and found they were still set to allow SSL3!  So it appears fixing individual browsers is not enough - you must fix IE or Control Panel to be safe,  and to ensure that Evernote will work.

Update:  I followed the tomsguide links to test and then Poodle-fix my Chrome and Firefox browsers,  retested and then confirmed they were not subject to attack.  Then I looked at the Control Panel Internet Options - and found they were still set to allow SSL3!  So it appears fixing individual browsers is not enough - you must fix IE or Control Panel to be safe,  and to ensure that Evernote will work.

Could you maybe post a link to the tomsguide? 

• Level 5*

Could you maybe post a link to the tomsguide? 

Tomsguide is linked from the Evernote KB Poodle entry,  but this is the address - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/poodle-fix-how-to,news-19775.html

Archived