Problem with Evernote email using @notebook feature

In sending an email to my EN email and adding @notebook to the subject line, the email is not saved in the specified notebook. The email does end up in my default inbox, so I know the email was addressed properly. I am following all directions in the KnowledgeBase. Any help would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

I do this all the time, and it seems to work well for me.

Make sure that you:

1. Make the @NB the FIRST EN Item
  2. Put at least one SPACE after subject text and @NB, and one SPACE after if you include any tags (#TagName)
  3. Best if NB is one word.  If not, you may need to put it in quotes, like "My Notebook" (would be better if name was "MyNotebook" or "My_Notebook"
  • Level 5*

If your OS is Windows,  check Evernote > Tools > Options > Clipping and the Options for the web clipper and Clearly for specified clip destinations.  I'm sure it's possible to override the email header with other options settings,  but I'm not sure which ones apply...

• Level 5*

If your OS is Windows,  check Evernote > Tools > Options > Clipping and the Options for the web clipper and Clearly for specified clip destinations.  I'm sure it's possible to override the email header with other options settings,  but I'm not sure which ones apply...

Are you sure, Gaz?  I don't think the EN Web clipper and Clearly have anything to do with email processing, unless there is a very recent change.

• Level 5*

Ok, some more questions.  Is it one just email or notebook giving you this problem or do all emails just go to your default notebook regardless of which @notebook you specify?  As a test try sending an email into your EN account with the email subject removed and only include @notebook in the subject line.

Thanks, @s2sailor. It's all emails, regardless of @notebook append to subject line. Tried several tests using different notebooks...

But your suggestion actually worked!!! 

Deleting the subject line and just using @notebook sent email to proper folder with the subject line of "Mailed in note".

Problem is that this subject line doesn't help easily identify the content. The "Mailed in note" subject line appears in both an email I sent myself and to an email from sending an article from my iPad to my Evernote email address. (which is my main use for this feature).

So, what does that mean? As a troubleshooting step, what does it tell me about using this feature in the future? 

More help?

• Level 5*

I'm not sure why but it sounds like EN is having trouble parsing the subject line and figuring out the notebook.  I don't use this feature much and haven't seen this reported as a problem so I don't know why it isn't just working for you.  I wonder if it is related to your specific email app.  Are you in a position to forward the same email from different apps or devices to see if there is a connection there? 

As a work around, since @notebook works, how about if you delete the subject line and type in a new subject with the @notebook, does that work?  I realize it is an extra step.  The only other option I have is to just forward to your default notebook and move from there.  I'm typically moving emails into local notebooks so that is the work flow I end up using and why I don't use @notebook much. 

If the problem doesn't seem tied to a specific email app and just seems broken to you, I would suggest opening a support ticket.  If you are a free user you might not get a response but it is still good to report the problem.

• Level 5*

@jquinlivan:  Very strange.  There must be something strange/unique about your email subject line.

Questions:

1. Are there any special characters in your subject?
  2. Have you tested different emails with different subjects?
  3. Have you tried this with different computers?
  4. Have you tried this with different email accounts and different email apps?

As I said earlier, I have been forwarding emails to my EN account for years, and never once have I had a problem.

So there must be something unique to your setup.

I think you will just need to keep experimenting/testing  until you identify the cause.

Thanks, JMichael. Good advice -- should have done troubleshooting like you advise in the first place.

Tested different article sources, articles, email clients and devices. I ended up being successful with other articles across iMac, iPhone and IPad with Mac mail and Gmail. The original article still won't file to assigned notebook, but my other tests worked fine. Some bad mojo in that one article!

Also got good advice from EN support to set up devices with iOS8 to share directly from browser to Evernote. Instructions here:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23193638

This approach clips the entire article and allows you to select notebook location. 

Thanks again to all for help.

Archived