tags not possible

seeker101

Hi

I have a problem taging new notes or existing notes that I suspect is connected to syncronising.

I have been using evernote for 2 weeks. I use it on 2 computers one with windows xp and one with windows 7.

Over the weekend I wrote some notes and created some tags on my home computer (W 7). Today on my work computer (w xp) I wrote some notes BUT CAN NOT add tags. When I click the tag symbol next to the notebook name nothing happens.

Also I noticed that some of the tags that I created are not on the tag list. The same with some notebooks created at home.

At least some of the notes created at home are available. Some of those notes have the tag symbol highlighted in green. I suspect that those have those tags that are not available on my work computer.

I tried syncing a couple of times but this does not help.

Any ideas?

Thank you

• Level 5*

Are you using the same account on these different computers, or using separate accounts with shared notebooks?

Sounds like you are trying to add new tags to a note that is shared to you, or add existing tags tags to a note that is shared to you as read-only, but I can't be sure.

Are you getting errors when syncing (check your activity log : Help / Activity Log). If you log in using the web client, do you see all of your notes on the Evernote server?

Just in response to clicking the tag symbol:  If it is the one above the note on Windows 7 desktop application it is not active.  The window actually has to be large enough to show the link "Click to add tag...", and click that.  I notice if my window is sized too small or I have too many tags that link will disappear showing only the symbol (which does nothing.)

• Level 5*

Just in response to clicking the tag symbol:  If it is the one above the note on Windows 7 desktop application it is not active.  The window actually has to be large enough to show the link "Click to add tag...", and click that.  I notice if my window is sized too small or I have too many tags that link will disappear showing only the symbol (which does nothing.)

Good catch; I think that that may be the problem (or at least part of it).

If the note window isn't wide enough, then you should see an icon with three downward pointing chevrons; click on that to give you a prompt to add a tag.

Good catch; I think that that may be the problem (or at least part of it).

If the note window isn't wide enough, then you should see an icon with three downward pointing chevrons; click on that to give you a prompt to add a tag.

That's right, I do see those chevrons if the window is wide enough to either show a tag or the "click to add tag".  Otherwise, even the chevrons don't show.

Thanks for the info with making the window big enough!

Feel a bit stupid now - but have learnd something :-)

That explains why I could not add tags to a note.

There is still the issue of my new tags not getting syncted across my two computers.

Just to clarify: I am using one acount on two computers.

I found a whole string of posts related to that problem - so I can browse there and see if it helps.

Will be back in the office tomorrow and can than check if I can solve the problem.

All notes and tags are synced on my home computer, so the problem seems to be at the work computer.

Thanks again for the help!

I don’t know if this is just happening on my desktop computer or not, but I cannot get a tag list to show when trying to add a tag. IOW when I click on the "Click to add tag..." link it just allows me to start typing. I like to see the scrolling tag list to select from. This used to pop open; not happening anymore.

The only way I can find now to get a list for selection is to use the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+T (or from the menu, Note>Tag...). This would be fine however the tag list defaults to only three lines long; I can expand that window but I have to do that with each session of Evernote.

Didn't a tag list used to open when using the link above the note? Or am I going batty!?

Thanks!

Jim

Archived