On Software Quality and Building a Better Evernote in 2014

I recall the blog post by Phil back in Jan where it stated that the stability issue and the overall quality was going to be improved. He also said it would focus on simplicity. How much has changed since then? Personally, I dont see much of a diff...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I recall the blog post by Phil back in Jan where it stated that the stability issue and the overall quality was going to be improved. He also said it would focus on simplicity. How much has changed since then? Personally, I dont see much of a diff...

I haven't seen any changes (improvements) in the quality of Evernote Apps, particularly the EN Mac app.  With each new release of EN Mac, while some bugs are fixed, many new ones are introduced.  Each update has focused on adding features, not making the product more stable and bug free.  

And now Evernote has done a complete rewrite of EN Mac with Ver 5.6.  This is a very, very risky approach, likely to cause more problems than it has solved, as noted by many software development veterans.  See Why You Should (Almost) Never Rewrite Code – Lesson Learned

The EN Mac 5.6 development when through 10 Betas, and was still released with significant bugs.  In fact, just days after it's released, Evernote released another beta, EN Mac 5.6.1 Beta.

There are still many complaints about the loss of features and the poor UI that came with EN Mac Ver 5.

At the 2014 Evernote Conference, there was no mention about improving software quality (at least I have not seen it reported or mentioned).  The NEW Evernote theme is to make Evernote the single app for doing all your work.  CEO Phil Libin wants to eliminate Microsoft Office and the concept of files, documents, etc.  What a joke!

Evernote CEO Phil Libin has failed to deliver on many of his promises.  Frankly, I don't trust anything that he says anymore.

Archived