Notebooks not syncing

emeza

Idea

My iMac app is not syncing my notebooks with all of my other devices including the internet version.  Can someone please help...  I'm new to evernote, just downloaded the app 2 days ago and need these files with me.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - have you installed the desktop client on your iMac?  And is it going with you on any travels?  If the answer to both questions is 'yes' then you're probably covered for the moment,  though you need to find out why your device isn't syncing with the internet - which would then allow all your other client devices to catch up.  Is the iMac connected to the internet?  What happens when you try to sync?

Hi and thank you for your reply... No, I haven't installed desktop client.  I have internet, I used the app on my computer to add more notebooks with info, and for some reason they did not sync in with all my other devices :(  I clicked on "i" and it tells me that "will not be synced".  I'm a little bummed out about it because I heard nothing but great reviews and here I am having problems with it.  Im new to all this technology and am trying to learn as much as I can so I can apply it in my buisiness.  What is desktop client and where do I get that.  I need all my files with me as I'm out on the field most of the day.

• Level 5*

OK - the desktop client will be available via the App Store,  and as I said provided you are taking this computer with you,  just getting that to sync with the internet will ensure you have your notes with you wherever you are.  The notes will be physically downloaded to your device.  Do remember to sync back to the server whenever you can though - otherwise what you have on the device will be more up to date than what's online.  You'll need to download Evernote apps to any other device that you want to sync,  and log in with your current user name and password.  Beware though that mobile devices don't have offline access by default - you need to set up 'offline searching' for your notes and download the content to the device (again) to have it available.

In answer to your question about what a *desktop client is* and to clarify Gazumped's response just a bit...

Please forgive me if any part of what follows is obvious.  It's not clear to me what your computer and internet experience might be, so my explanation is wordy and written with the best of intentions.

The word "client," as used in Evernote (EN) terminology, is the software application (app) as tailored to work explicitly with the different devices and their Operating Systems. For example:

I have a Windows 7 laptop and an Android phone that I use Evernote on.  Each has their own specific app, with the Windows app being the desktop version and the Android verion for my mobile phone.  (The term "desktop" being taken from back in the dark ages when we couldn't lug our just tuck our computers into a bag and tote them around with us.

Archived