Can Evernote add a Sort Feature?

I am not talking about sorting the note list. I want to prioritize my actual notes. Say I take a bunch of notes at a meeting and then I want to star some and bring them to the top...or prioritize them by numbering.  Currently I have to cut/paste to reorder or prioritize my meeting notes, checklists, etc.   

• Level 5*

You have to enter something to do what you want so if you want to sort on a column you could try using tags like !10, !20 etc in addition to whatever groups the notes together (some other tag or key word I suppose) and support by the tag column.  Or use remainders with dates and times, modify the create date to create your sequence.  Or create a table of contents and then rearrange the lines in the table of contents note.  There are ways to do it, but a bit kludgy.  Then again EN isn't exactly Work or Excel.

• Level 5*

I just want to be able to cover a range of my notes or checklists and sort them alphabetically, by priority, etc.without having to be a rocket scientist.  I don't understand why a note taking application would not have this function.   

Can't help you with your understanding issue, but two things you can sort by are note title or tag.  If you create your notes accordingly, you can click the column heading of either in list view and get ascending and descending sorts of whatever notes you have selected.  Not sure how you would do it any differently in Word or Excel.

• Level 5*

I just want to be able to cover a range of my notes or checklists and sort them alphabetically, by priority, etc.without having to be a rocket scientist.  I don't understand why a note taking application would not have this function.

There's nothing really to understand. Evernote does have the ability to take notes, but it doesn't have every feature that every user would want, including this one. This will be taken as a feature request, but Evernote generally does not share its feature implementation plans with us users, so it's anyone's guess whether they'll add it or not.
  • 3 weeks later...

I find Evernote so handy and useful wherever I am – except that I can't sort the lists I make within notes. If adding another request for this feature will help bring it about, here's my request. 

Alphabetical / numeric sorting is an obvious feature to me. In a dynamic environment, to be constantly taking lists out of Evernote for sorting and then re-importing them is ridiculous. And, obviously, not happening.

Is there a 3rd party app that makes sorting possible?

WorkFlowy is awesome. It's not an Evernote 3rd party app, of course, but on desktop, at least, it is a piece of cake to switch between the two with cutting and pasting. No automatic sorting... But it does make dragging-and-drop reshuffling a piece of cake. Then you can paste it back to Evernote... Or simply stick with WF for that particular info and see where it takes you. You have to know what a Evernote can and can't do. For all the things it can do, it more than serves its purpose for me :-)

Thanks, Noteworthy! WorkFlowy has not come across my radar previously, so I'll give it a try.

Evernote makes me think of neatly organized house in a neatly kept yard in a neat and orderly subdivision. Everything looks nice and organized.

Until you get to the sock drawers and the closets and find them a wretched mess.

Archived