Evernote doesn't synchronizes notes at startup

Astronote

Hi,

I have noted that Evernote for Windows doesn't synchronizes notes at startup. I have to force synchronization. 

So if I create or update a note on my Android phone and then I launch Evernote on my computer desktop, I don't see any change until I force synchronization.
Can you confirm this behavior?

Luigi

• Level 5*

If you check in Tools > Options > Sync it's possible to get Evernote to start with Windows and sync automatically every <variable> minutes.  My system is set that way and always syncs before I need to start editing content.  Even so I always sync manually if I've been using other clients - it avoids conflicts and alerts me to sync failures that might cause problems.  The rule is: always sync before and after any changes...

Hi gazumped,
thanks for your answer.
If I check "Synchronize automatically every...", for example 15 minutes, in any case Evernote doesn't synchronizes at startup but I have to wait 15 minutes.

Regards

Luigi

• Level 5*

The question that I have is what does "startup" mean? Is Evernote really started when you don't have the UI running, but you do have the toolbar icon available? You can get to that state by just In that state by just clicking on the Close button in the main UI -- the UI is gone, but Evernote is still alive, waiting to do screen clipping, open a new note etc.  So does activating Evernote from that state count as "startup" with respect to syncing? It doesn't in other aspects of its operation, like reading certain registry settings.

Also, that's a full sync operation. As far as I know, when activating a note for viewing/editing in the Windows client does reach out to the Evernote servers to see if it's been modified, and will sync that note if if it has been changed.

So I just ran a quick test:

* Edited a note on my Android tablet, and clicked the 'Done' button to save it.

* Logged into the web client, and saw that the note had been updated there, so it was on the Evernote servers.

* Went back to the open Windows client, found the note and activated it. After a brief brief pause, the note came up, with my edits intact.

All of this without initiating a single sync operation on my own, I should note that I am running the latest beta prereleases of both the Windows and Android clients, so your mileage may vary.

Hi jefito,

I use Evernote Windows client version 5.5.3.

I have tried to run your test. 

1) Edited a note on my Android tablet, and clicked the 'Done' button to save it.

2) Logged into the web client, and saw that the note had been updated there, so it was on the Evernote servers.

3) Went back to the open Windows client, found the note and activated it. After a brief brief pause, the note came up, with my edits intact.

At step 3, when I activated the note, nothing happens. To see the changes I have to press the sync button.

Regards,
Luigi

Archived