OneNote just got updates

ericmjl

Idea

Hey Evernote devs, 

If you're observing, OneNote is catching up - and real fast! The only killer feature I haven't seen from any other note-taking app is the "related notes", but I imagine even that can be implemented by a company as big as M$.

http://lifehacker.com/onenote-for-android-adds-handwriting-input-tablet-supp-1623944074

Some (rhetorical) questions:

• When will we see native scribble input enabled on iPads and iPhones?
  • When will we see taggable sections of notes, not just full notes?
  • When will we see a UI that caters to those who want a beautiful UI, not just barebones functionality? (I'm not one of those, but I have a hard time convincing some of my colleagues to move over because of - alas! - the UI...)

Cheers,

Eric

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hey Evernote devs, 

If you're observing, OneNote is catching up - and real fast! The only killer feature I haven't seen from any other note-taking app is the "related notes", but I imagine even that can be implemented by a company as big as M$.

http://lifehacker.com/onenote-for-android-adds-handwriting-input-tablet-supp-1623944074

Some (rhetorical) questions:

• When will we see native scribble input enabled on iPads and iPhones?
  • When will we see taggable sections of notes, not just full notes?
  • When will we see a UI that caters to those who want a beautiful UI, not just barebones functionality? (I'm not one of those, but I have a hard time convincing some of my colleagues to move over because of - alas! - the UI...)

Cheers,

Eric

I haven't been following Android too closely, but the Mac app got some major updates as well. Without these changes, I couldn't even see how it was usable on the Mac, but now it is at least looking like an option for serious notetaking and file management.

http://www.informationweek.com/software/enterprise-applications/microsoft-enhances-onenote-for-mac-ios/d/d-id/1297622

It will be interesting to see what Evernote has up its sleeve. There is an Evernote conference coming up. Maybe they will reveal some major changes there.

https://evernote.com/ec/

Cheers,

Eric

This question is so subjective I think it is hardly worth asking. What on earth counts as "beautiful UI" and what makes the current UI for iOS "barebones"? 

The UI on iOS is certainly not ugly and has a lot of aesthetic embellishments. It is also rather functional, though there are some frustrating limits to the function of the UI that could really be addressed... so I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make here with this, other than that simply, in your opinion, the UI is not as pretty as you'd like...

In my opinion, the UI is reasonably aesthetically satisfying (though I am sure it could be improved), and not nearly as functional as I'd like. 

Yippee, what is a company to do? Whose opinion is most objectively correct? Yours? Mine? The other guy's?

But ultimately, all of that is beside the point. You're main point is that MS is making some big strides with OneNote. They DEFINITELY are. It will be interesting to see where they take it, and whether Evernote responds. 

I also don't expect Evernote will provide any answers to your questions, they never do.... For better or for worse they're a pretty tight-lipped bunch. It's always "Wait and see" with them.

Personally, the very foundation upon which organization in OneNote is founded does not appeal to me, so the new bells and whistles, while intriguing, are not enough to pull me away. 

Archived