Deleting a NoteBook

Hey everyone...just downloaded EverNote for the first time. I started poking around.....and created a few NoteBooks. I've only been a user for approximately 20 minutes, and 17 of those minutes were spent trying to "delete" a NoteBook.

Yes, I figured it out by "right clicking". But being a Mac user for 20 years, and never using a PC in my life.....who thinks of right clicking? Why can't we simply hit the delete key, or why isn't there a delete function in the drop-down menu, why isn't there a "delete" button on the GUI, why can't I click and drag into trash......geez, really?  

My question is...why isn't this more intuitive? Is this a sign that I'm headed for trouble.....I mean, deleting should be the easiest thing in the world. Why not make it easier. Just saying.....

Cheers,

Mikey

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  You could also select a notebook and use Edit > Delete,  or just hit the Delete key.  All industry standard options for PC users.  And making it easy to delete things tends to lead to 'accidental' erasures that upset users even more than needing to find a magic key combination.  Stick with it - if you lose anything else we can probably point you in the right direction...

• Level 5*

Loads of Mac apps require a right click to access functionality.

You can't delete a folder or file in Finder with the delete key and the default toolbar doesn't come with a trash icon either.

Thanks fellas for the support. Looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and diving in. I've been reading reviews about Evernote for a very long time. Excited to start using it.

So getting back to the problem. I tried looking for a delete option in the drop down menu and it was "grey". I've been on a Mac since '92 and I consider myself pretty savvy. But right-clicking is not something I do often. So it's not 2nd nature to me, as it would be in the Windows world.

I've been brought into focus groups by some giant tech companies as they build apps and such, and they're always amazed as they watch Mac users navigate through their apps in progress. Some things that may be so clear and obvious to a Windows user, may not be so clear to a Mac user.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that Evernote has a forum with people that actually respond. Thanks again folks. And I'm stoked to be part of the family now.

Cheers,

Michael

Archived