Warning about stolen passwords

I got a warning from Evernote saying that the forum had been hacked and email addresses and hashed passwords had been hacked. The letter also said that the forum data and my evernote account data are stored separately and that there was no risk to my account.  

But is this true, in order to log into a forum I log into my account.  I just did it. So in what sense are these two components of the Evernote web site different? How about Evernote informing us of just what the risks are in doping out a hashed password.  Can it be done?  Why don't they tell us?

I got a warning from Evernote saying that the forum had been hacked and email addresses and hashed passwords had been hacked. The letter also said that the forum data and my evernote account data are stored separately and that there was no risk to my account.  

But is this true, in order to log into a forum I log into my account.  I just did it. So in what sense are these two components of the Evernote web site different? How about Evernote informing us of just what the risks are in doping out a hashed password.  Can it be done?  Why don't they tell us?

They did. The email is fairly detailed and there are at least a couple of detailed threads on the topic. Using the search function(hint, hint) finds this one.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61756-evernote-forum-hack-of-june-2014-what-passwords-were-lost/

Archived