Report out / Export function?

SIngaporeKid

Idea

Does anyone know how one can 'report out' or summarize up (export?) the results of a search in Evernote, whatever your grouping or search criteria...?

In other words, can you direct the output or results to a simple, useful report that can be further processed (eg in WORD or similar)...?

I'm thinking of the very useful features that Microsoft OneNote offers... I don't use it anymore but I found that functionality invaluable.

Help?!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I think you'll have to define what features you're looking for - I've used OneNote but not in depth.  

You should be able to switch on a Search Explanation bar which will explains the search run and gives you a number of hits,  and the List view will show you the note titles.  If you copy all and paste into another note you'll have a linked list of all the results.  You can print that note to get a paper output.  Not sure what else you might need...

Thank you, Gazumped.

I guess i was looking for something more one-click-ish! I'm really talking about being able to do a cross-note (ie. cross-notebook) search for, say, a topic or person's name, or a specific tag, and then extract the relevant sections (notes) into a compilation... Imagine a series of notes in an editable list format (each with a reference back to its source) which can easily be 'topped and tailed' to make a more formal report of some kind.

Again, this was an invaluable feature in OneNote and I have to say I miss that functionality greatly. So much so that... Oh well, I'll hang in there a bit longer!

• Level 5*

Does anyone know how one can 'report out' or summarize up (export?) the results of a search in Evernote, whatever your grouping or search criteria...?

In other words, can you direct the output or results to a simple, useful report that can be further processed (eg in WORD or similar)...?

I'm thinking of the very useful features that Microsoft OneNote offers... I don't use it anymore but I found that functionality invaluable.

Help?!

SIngaporeKid, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can do the following:

1. Execute your Search
  2. Select the Notes in the Note List View that you wish to process (could be all)
  3. Select the "Create Table of Contents Note" from the display in the main panel
  4. Go to menu File > Export Notes...

Step 3 gives a list of the Notes with links that you can copy/paste wherever you'd like, OR you could even export in HTML format.

Step 4 exports all of the selected Notes into either the .enex or HTML format, the latter of which can be imported into Word*.

* NOTE:  EN Mac 5.5.1 has a BUG that prevents the import of HTML from EN to Word.

• Level 5*

OK that's possible - do your search.  Copy all the notes into a temporary notebook.  Merge the notes.  You now have one note containing all the relevant information.  Save it or print it...

Archived