EVERNOTE IS AMAZING but...

LOVE THIS APP ONE OF MY FAVORITES!

Especially love the new Menu Bar Elephant. So cool and useful!!!!!!!!

That said app needs better organisational capabilities (Think microsoft One-Note)

I use evernote to store photos directly from phone. Also to cut and paste through elephant and save them...

However my organised Notes with files is in OneNote. I don't have an issue to be honest, because with little elephant its so easy to work with any program on the PC! 

Just think its a pity because I organise and store the documents/notes/photos elsewhere.

;)

• Level 5

Evernote is very flexible. Some people do store photos in it.

I have 30,000 notes in Evernote, but I don't use it for storing photos for the reasons you mentioned. There are many online services much better suited for managing and organizing a photo collection - examples: Flickr or Picasa

Here are some frequently mentioned tips that will help you organize your notes (web captures, text info, scanned documents, bills, etc.). You will find that Evernote Search is far more powerful method to organize your information.

1. Use just a few very broad topics for your notebooks (job, home, travel, hobby, etc). 
  2. Use a standard consistent title structure for your notes. Evernote's title search (intitle:) is very powerful. The structure I use for my titles is: date - location - topic - person
  3. Use a standard date format in the title - YYYY MM DD or YYMMDD are the most common variations
  4. Use tags to help define the note and / or use keywords in the body of the note

These are not cast-in-stone rules, just suggestions to help organize and find your data more efficiently. There are many other methods as well.

Still not very convenient. I use photos to store written documents very often. (somewhat like a scanner)

Tags and that whole idea is great, but I don't want to remember the tags I used before to subsequently tag items of the same theme. I want a place I can find everything on a subject  without forgetting anything, and a place to remember that the subject even exists.

Search is great... Doesn't mean folders shouldn't be an option.

• Level 5*

One of the basic principles of computing is "whatever works for you" - if you;re happy doing what you're doing,  then don't change unless you absolutely have to. 

• Level 5*

Tags and that whole idea is great, but I don't want to remember the tags I used before to subsequently tag items of the same theme. I want a place I can find everything on a subject  without forgetting anything, and a place to remember that the subject even exists.

I'm a heavy tag user, but only because I can set the Tag List to show in Evernote's sidebar. Otherwise yeah, it'd be a nightmare to keep track. But depending on the platform you're using, you can get a list of all tags used to show up on the side of your Evernote client, and a single click takes you to everything on the subject. Perhaps make a tag for each tab of your OneNote notebooks, since you're already familiar with those terms, and set the sidebar to show your tag list. It'll then function pretty much the same as your OneNote setup, and you can give it a go and see if it's what you're looking for without having to learn an entirely new system. The benefit to the tags is if a note, photo, document, etc. squarely fits in TWO of your OneNote tabs, instead of duplicating it you can simply assign both tags to the one item.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for you -- but at least you won't have invested a ton of time into creating a new system only to have it fail! :)

Archived