(Archived) What if God forbid Evernote goes out of business

I searched and searched and couldn't find this question being asked/answered anywhere so apologies if it has.

My concern is EN is becoming a pretty major player in my work and personal systems. What if, in years to come the company folds, what happens to my data ?

Unlike a lot of web-only companies, you have the security of a fully usable copy of all of your data on your own machine. So if California were to fall into the sea tomorrow, you could use our Windows or Mac client indefinitely. Both of them include the ability to export to various formats like HTML which can be easily brought into other systems.

Both also include a clean XML-based export format that a competent developer could manipulate in a day or two of work to get your data out easily.

We don't believe in "lock in" ... we hope you keep coming back to Evernote because it's still useful to you, not because you're stuck!

Just be sure you're backing up your local files, too. Because if/when my AZ home becomes beachfront property and the aftershocks caused my hard drives to crash, I should be able to get my data from my offsite backup (Jungle Disk.) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hate to see Evernote go out of business too, but here's a question. My files are automatically backed up and synched, I know, but what if something went horribly wrong with the synch and everything was irretrievably chewed up? Should I be manually backing up my files as well and if so, how?

Sure, it's never a bad idea to back up local files on your computer.

On Windows, you can see the location of your database file from Tools > Options > General

On the Mac, your notes go into: ~/Library/Application\ Support/Evernote

I'd hate to see Evernote go out of business too, but here's a question. My files are automatically backed up and synched, I know, but what if something went horribly wrong with the synch and everything was irretrievably chewed up? Should I be manually backing up my files as well and if so, how?
Sure, it's never a bad idea to back up local files on your computer.

On Windows, you can see the location of your database file from Tools > Options > General

On the Mac, your notes go into: ~/Library/Application\ Support/Evernote

Absolutely a good idea to maintain your own backup. In my case, it's important b/c I have several local notebooks. But I also backup all my stuff (even if it's web oriented & backed up by another service such as Evernote) b/c I think a girl can never be too rich, too thin or have too many backups. :D:):D Seriously tho, even if a web site is supposed to be backing up your stuff, I just like that little bit of added protection to backup the files on my own. Worst case scenario is you have too many backups & never need them. Oh wait...that's a best case scenario! :D

Archived