Feature Request: Lock Tags to prevent deletion

I did a quick look and didn't see this been posted before.  I was surprised and disappointed to see that Evernote had no way to lock tags.  Not only that, when I accidentally deleted a nested one, there was no undo function.  l'm not saying this is necessarily a deal breaker, but as important as tags are to the meaning of notes, you'd think there would at least be a deletion warning or an undo feature.

On the one hand, I agree. I think, in some respects an undo feature for changes at the organizational level could be useful. 

However, I don't know about a "warning" for deleting tags. Some people are pretty rapid fire and might find such a warning to be a hindrance to their workflow. Of course, I suppose this could be a permanently dismissible dialogue so those who don't want it can tell it to never appear again, I think the "organizational undo" would eliminate the need for a warning anyway. Just my 2¢!

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, there is a warning. Whether it appears or not is governed by a registry setting. Not sure what the default it, but it should be to warn first (and be able to disable it thereafter). It's a pretty clear warning.

• Level 5*

There's a warning if you delete the tag from the sidebar - with a tickbox to suppress it in future.  There's no warning if you remove the tag from a note whilst editing it - though its "updated" date should find it for you then..

There's a warning if you delete the tag from the sidebar - with a tickbox to suppress it in future.  There's no warning if you remove the tag from a note whilst editing it - though its "updated" date should find it for you then..

OK that's what I figured, I think the OP wants a warning when a tag is deleted from a note (not deleted from evernote) while editing that note. 

Although, if I am not mistaken, changes to tags or the notebook location of a note no longer modify the "date updated" field.

• Level 5*

OK that's what I figured, I think the OP wants a warning when a tag is deleted from a note (not deleted from evernote) while editing that note. 

Although, if I am not mistaken, changes to tags or the notebook location of a note no longer modify the "date updated" field.

No, but at least in some (most?) cases there will have been other changes which did modify the field.

• Level 5*

Right -- that's not deleting a tag, just removing it from the note. Note that tag manipulations do not affect updated date any more -- there's a Jackolicious post elsewhere on that.

I suppose I struggle to see the difficulty the OP is experiencing. Accidentally removing a tag from a note is a fairly trivial error to fix, but perhaps withs some of the more intense GTD schemes there could be some very specific tags that might be hard to recall....? 

Generally for me the tags that belong on a given note are fairly self-evident. I'd know which tag is missing if I accidentally deleted it. 

Maybe the OP can explain their use case a bit to shed some light on the issue they are experiencing.

Scott & Jefito, I think the registry entry might have helped.  I was working in the Windows client, tagging notes created by e-mail clips.  I was deleting a note, and I must have also selected the tag in the side bar before pressing delete.  I didn't intend to delete the tag and all its children, and I wasn't aware that I had done it until I tried using it again.

I cleared the Evernote registry entry "AutoResponse->ConfirmDeleteTag" which was set to "Delete Tag".  Now it won't let me delete tags.  Any idea what the default setting is supposed to be?  I'd like to get the warning that I must have at some time checked off.

Thanks for all the response.

Archived