Feature Request-Folders

JJ8

Idea

I am a long time Evernote and a more recent Penultimate user and I desperately need two features to continue Penultimate use.

1) I have numerous notes and I need to organize them into folders within Penultimate.  It is not working to only be able to sort them by most recent and name.  I must be able to organize them using systems that work for my workflow.

2) I must be able to designate which folders each note will be syncing to in Evernote.  Having one default notebook for syncing is a huge deal breaker.

I hope that these issues can be addressed.

Thanks!

10 replies to this idea

Folders? I'm sorry I'm not sure if I understand what this is referring to. 

Are you asking to be able to designate what Evernote notebook a given Penultimate notebook  ends up in? 

That's a reasonable request though I don't know if that will happen any time soon. A workaround is to just copy and paste or drag and drop the image files that represent penultimate pages into notes in a desired notebook of your choice when you have finished writing. 

With respect to concern #1, it sounds like you are asking to custom sort notes in Evernote? This seems to be a widely requested feature, Evernote's notorious tight-lipped-ness means we aren't likely to ever know if this is on the development agenda until it shows up or it doesn't. There are a few workarounds discussed elsewhere on these forums, but none are terribly elegant. 

Yes, in item 2, I was referring to the syncing of the Penultimate files into a designated Notebook in Evernote.  In the course of a day, I have generated a large volume of Penultimate documents and do not have time to drop and drag them individually into Evernote Notebooks.  I am not a programmer, but this would not seem to be an overly complicated designation to be able to make during the syncing process.  The email upload process allows you to use "@" and the Notebook name in the subject and the note is directed to the correct Notebook.

Item 1 feels like something that you should not have to ask for, a simple way to organize your notes in Penultimate.  Having a hundred plus notes that can only be sorted by name or "recent" is not tenable.  Thanks!

Well, I think, in general, most of the organization of penultimate stuff is intended to be done from within penultimate. In the penultimate application you are able to arrange pages in an arbitrary order. You can also use penultimate notebooks to organize your notes into meaningful categories. One notebook for each work project, perhaps. Each page or group of pages can be arranged in whatever way you like. 

As far as "it should be easy to implement", this seems to come up with every single feature request. 2 things to consider though: 1) Easy or not, Evernote might simply choose not to do it, or at least not to do it right this moment. 2) It may not, in fact, be that easy to implement a particular feature across a dozen or so clients. Sure, some things are likely fairly straightforward to implement, others not so much. Sometimes it is easy in the basic sense, but then actually making it effective, functional, or simply ensuring it doesn't break everything else might be the challenge. All of this to say perhaps it isn't worthwhile to speculate about the easy or difficulty because we don't necessarily know how hard or easy something is, and regardless of difficulty we aren't likely to know if it makes it onto Evernote's agenda. 

I may have missed a step.  I can create notebooks within Penultimate to organize my notes.  That is what I am seeking.  Please advise as to how this can been accomplished.  Thank you!!

Thanks, however, the term Notebook and notes seem to be synonymous in my review of the link.  I want to organize my individual notebooks/notes in a larger structure.  The link does not provide any guidance for the ordering or sorting of the notebooks/notes beyond date and name. I appreciate your trying to help.

Yes, I use one Notebook for each note, i.e. if I am taking notes during a meeting, my notebook is just for that meeting. I need higher level of organization for all of my notebooks/notes from all of my Operations meetings.  Does that make sense?

This looks like the last post that I will be allowed to make until tomorrow...

Oh yes - this is just what I want (and have asked for many times from EN). I now use Noteshelf as Penultimate does not do folders. I have 50 (old) notes in Penultimate and there is no way to organise them. I tried making a stack in EN but the Penultimate app only syncs with one folder.

Basically I would like in Penultimate this: Meta-notebook>Notebook>Note. So, for example, I could have a stack "Penultimate" and inside different folders: "meetings", "coaching", "team events", etc., and each folder would then have many notes which could later be edited.

Today this is not possible in Penultimate. Yes, you can export to EN but then the result is a pdf you no longer can edit. Ideally, I'd like the folder structure in Penultimate to be synced to EN.

Maybe I've missed something and this is possible today?

Regards, David

Just look at Noteshelf. There this is possible to have loads of folders each with multiple notes.

Oh, one other thing. May I suggest, as the earlier contributor hints, that Penultimate changes its terminology to be aligned with EN. A "notebook" in Penultimate is actually similar to a "note" in EN. 

Archived