syncing between two computers

I have Evernote on my desktop and laptop. On the desktop I have set up 9 notebooks to organize my business. But when I open it on the laptop or even view it online I don't see all 9 notebooks - only three of them. Any idea why this could be happening evern after performing syncing a number of times?

Are any of the notebooks on the desktop designated as "local" notebook? If so, they will not get synced to the server or any other device. 

Do you have any remaining upload quota? If you have hit your upload limit, any notes created while at the limit will not sync until your limit is refreshed at the end of your monthly cycle. 

Check the activity log on your desktop machine to see if there are any notes in their that might suggest trouble syncing those notebooks. 

Hi Scott

well, all of the notebooks are local ones.. Is that the issue?

I'm a tour operator and have 9 tours scheduled so I created one local notebook for each tour. And within each notebook I have a number of notes - things to do  relating to that particular tour. It's nice to be able to click on the title of any given local notebook and see everything I have written in it. How else could that be done if I'm not using local notebooks?

• Level 5*

Hi Scott

well, all of the notebooks are local ones.. Is that the issue?

Yes. Local notebooks are by definition not synced to the Evernote servers, so they are never synced to other devices.

The solution is not to use local notebooks if at all possible. Note that because they're not synced, they are not backed up up, so if you are going to use local notebooks, you should take the responsibility of backing them up yourself.

• Level 5*

It may take time for all of your notebooks (and their notes) to sync up up to the servers, and down to your other device. You could try to use the web client to see what's on the servers so far...

Scott - I just went in and made each notebook NOT a local notebook.. I synced and went I went online to Evernote I only see 2 of the notebooks.. Any idea why?

I don't know what you did, but you cannot, repeat cannot, change a notebook from local to sync'd & vice versa.  What you need to do is create a brand new notebook (which is where local/sync'd is determined).  Then move the notes from the existing notebook to the new one & then sync.

Additionally, as Jeff said, if you have very many notes, it may take a while & a few syncs for the changes to be populated across your devices.

hi again - I did that - I took my local notebooks and renamed them with a different name. For example, one of my local notebooks was called Giverny. I renamed it to Giverny1 then created a new NOT LOCAL notebook and named it Giverny - and copied the old notes from that original local notebook to the newly created Giverny notebook. So all that looks good, but it still doesn't appear on the server.

hi again - I did that - I took my local notebooks and renamed them with a different name. For example, one of my local notebooks was called Giverny. I renamed it to Giverny1 then created a new NOT LOCAL notebook and named it Giverny - and copied the old notes from that original local notebook to the newly created Giverny notebook. So all that looks good, but it still doesn't appear on the server.

Ok, yes, that's the way to do it.  So I'd suggest just keep sync'ing & give EN some time.  IME, when you make a lot of changes, it can take a while for everything to "settle in".  I would guess at least part of the reason is that EN has to confirm if there are any other changes to each specific note (since changes can come in from a variety of sources).

Archived