Keyboard strokes

Hi, I've been making some indented Todo lists where

TodoBox [space] Item

[Tab] TodoBox [space] Sub-Item

In most programs, Shift Tab will move backwards one tab length. In Evernote this doesn't work; the mouse doesn't either (even though it's unnecessarily complex action).

What's the correct option here for key board command to move a tab backwards?

Thanks.

This is the product of Evernote not actually creating a "tab" character, rather it uses 4 space characters. This means the shift-tab keystroke will not work. 

The quickest workaround is to use cmd-shift-left arrow to move to the beginning of the line and select everything along the way. You can then just press delete to clear the selection, or begin typing immediately to replace the selection. 

This is more awkward since checkboxes aren't really treated as bullets so they don't make a tiered structure properly.

A way around this is to make a bullet (cmd-shift-u), then make a checkbox (cmd-shift-t) so that the you get proper bullet-like tiering and tab behaviour with your checkboxes. 

Thanks for the pointers, Scott.

Ooh, these are commands for a Mac!

I'm having trouble figuring out how to use Evernote from the keyboard in Windows 7, Evernote 5.2.1.3108

Seems like all the "lists" I get from googling mostly don't work.

Ah, for the most part you should be able to just swap in ctrl-alt-whatever for cmd-opt-whatever

As for jumping to the beginning of the line you might need to play, I cannot remember if it is ctrl-shift-left or alt-shift-left.

Unless the windows version is radically different, it should all work the same with the correct key substitutions.... I hope!

• Level 5*

Hi, I've been making some indented Todo lists where

TodoBox [space] Item

[Tab] TodoBox [space] Sub-Item

In most programs, Shift Tab will move backwards one tab length. In Evernote this doesn't work; the mouse doesn't either (even though it's unnecessarily complex action).

What's the correct option here for key board command to move a tab backwards?

Thanks.

In Evernote for Windows, Tab and Shift+Tab work in bulleted and numbered lists. For normal indentation, use the indent command Ctrl+M; undent is Ctrl+Shift+M. In most cases except for bulleted and numbered lists, Tab will insert five spaces; tab characters don't mean anything special in the underlying HTML that Evernote uses to encode your note. Evidently Shift+Tab does the exact same thing.

That's why I use Ctrl+M and Ctrl+Shift+M.

Archived