FEATURE REQUEST: Handwriting recognition in PDFs

TDBJ

Idea

Hello.

I am writing to request that Evernote do handwriting recognition in PDFs. 

(There is some confusion about this in other forum posts, but I just spoke to customer service: Evernote *does not do* handwriting recognition on ANY pdfs (Regardless of free or premium, regardless of how good or bad your handwriting is, etc.))

I frequently take notes by hand, then scan them to pdf using an office scanner, then import them to Evernote.  I like having them in pdf format (not .jpg or some other nonsense) and I am not willing to add another step to my workflow using some third-party handwriting recognition software. 

Please, please, please add this feature in to Evernote. 

Thanks,

-TDBJ

2 replies to this idea

Hello.

I am writing to request that Evernote do handwriting recognition in PDFs.

(There is some confusion about this in other forum posts, but I just spoke to customer service: Evernote *does not do* handwriting recognition on ANY pdfs (Regardless of free or premium, regardless of how good or bad your handwriting is, etc.))

I frequently take notes by hand, then scan them to pdf using an office scanner, then import them to Evernote. I like having them in pdf format (not .jpg or some other nonsense) and I am not willing to add another step to my workflow using some third-party handwriting recognition software.

Please, please, please add this feature in to Evernote.

Thanks,

-TDBJ

Evernote uses a different OCR program for PDFs that is not very suitable for handwriting. If you want your handwriting indexed, you should scan as an image. The indexing for images is more conducive for handwriting, since a tree of possibilities is created. And images are indexed for free accounts whereas PDFs are only indexed for premium accounts. If you don't want to scan them as images, then you're out of luck or will need to use a third party app of your choice to do it. And if you're unwilling to do that, I guess you're just out of luck. Doubtful EN will accommodate indexing handwriting in PDFs any time soon, if ever. Workarounds exist but you seem to be unwilling to utilize any of them. Good luck.

• Level 5*

Since OCR applied to handwriting is (polite description) somewhat hit and miss,  I always add keywords to me handwritten notes anyway.  I can find things faster off the typed keywords,  and my Mk 1 eyeball can scan several pages of my handwriting very quickly indeed to see whether it's relevant to my needs.  My handwriting,  I should say,  is somewhere between chicken-scratch and hieroglyphic and full of arbitrary contractions that I can read,  but even the NSA would have trouble with...

Archived