Is it possible to share Account but not notes?

Hi, 

I am NEW to Evernote and just upgraded to Premium Account.  Can my spouse and I both use 1 account or do we have to get 2 premium accounts.

Here are my questions.  

(1)  We are both teachers and we write down notes while we teach and email them to the students after. 

Can we both use Evernote at the same time?

(2)  Can we NOT share our notes?  In order word, I don't want any of his students information on my Evernote and vv. 

Is there are good site to learn HOW to use and organizeEvernote?  

• Level 5*

You can share a single account (premium or free) on separate machines at the same time, but you may not want to. For one reason, you may get conflicting notes if you are both editing the same note at the same time -- you'll need to be really careful about syncing. It's probably better to have two accounts and use notebook sharing.

If you use two separate accounts, you can share notebooks with other users, but leave other notebooks unshared (so that you can keep student information private). Shared notebooks can be read/write (both people can read and edit notes in the notebook) or read-only (only the notebook owner can edit notes; anyone else can only read them). Free users can share at most one read/write notebook, the read must be read-only, but that may be viable for your use case. Premium users can share any number of read/write notebooks.

Having one premium and one free account sounds like it would fill the bill with your case.

From the appication's perspective, this would be like the user hiding notes from herself. This is not possible.

From the sounds of your needs as they are described here does not suggest a need for any premium features. Your partner could probably just simply get their own free account, only upgrading to premium if they find themselves needing those features.

In general, sharing as single account is a bad idea for a great many reasons.

As for learning about how to organize in Evernote, these forums are a good resource. You might want to also look at some of the evernote ambassadors who are involved in education.

Also, Forum contributor GrumpyMonkey has a lot of his own workflow on his website:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/

And of course, above all, the best thing is to look at all the ways other people are using evernote for inspiration, cherry picking this bit or that bit, eventually coming up withy our own unique workflow.

I saw under my Premium account I can "ADD ANOTHER ACCOUNT".  Is that what you are talking about?  Or are you saying my spouse should download a separate FREE Evernote account and take it from there?  
If he is using the FREE version, he won't get all the benefits of the Premium account that I would get.  Am I making sense?  

I don't want either of us to edit our notes, but wondering if we can both enjoy the use of only 1 premium account but do our work separately.  Thanks!

• Level 5*

I saw under my Premium account I can "ADD ANOTHER ACCOUNT".  Is that what you are talking about?  Or are you saying my spouse should download a separate FREE Evernote account and take it from there?  

If he is using the FREE version, he won't get all the benefits of the Premium account that I would get.  Am I making sense?  

I don't want either of us to edit our notes, but wondering if we can both enjoy the use of only 1 premium account but do our work separately.  Thanks!

"I saw under my Premium account I can "ADD ANOTHER ACCOUNT" : not sure where you saw this, or what it means. One of you would just need to open up a new account, by signing up, just like you did for the first account. That's only if you are using separate computers, for example, if you both have your own laptops. That makes keeping them separate easy.

If your spouse is using a free version, he will not get all of the benefits of your premium account, but that may be OK for your case. What feature of a premium account is useful to you such that you both might need it?

I saw under my Premium account I can "ADD ANOTHER ACCOUNT" : not sure where you saw this, or what it means.

I think OP must be talking about "add another user" in the Windows (or possibly Mac) desktop.

If he is using the FREE version, he won't get all the benefits of the Premium account that I would get.

Of course. But as Scott said, so far, I've not seen anything in your posts that even suggest either of you need a premium account.

I agree with Jeff that it's simply not a good idea for two users to try using the same account. The forum is littered with angry users who don't fully understand the sync process of a cloud app & have lost data when they've moved between computers/devices. You have the same risk with multiple users accessing the same account. It's not a matter of IF you get data loss but rather WHEN.

As far as a good site to learn ways to use EN, this message board is a good start. Simply viewing new posts & reading questions by other users will trigger ways to use EN. That's why I started hanging out on this board several years ago...I learned something new every day.

The "add another account" is a premium feature that allows a user to quickly switch between two separate Evernote accounts on a single machine. Only one account needs to be premium, the other can be free. Your partner would have to sign up for their own Evernote account,

Using this method, all of your account information is separate, and this is really only necessary if you share a computer on a regular basis.

Archived