All my tags disappeared!

Riaandt

I am running Evernote on Windows 7 64bit. Today I open Evernote and ALL my tags have disappeared. Checked online and on my phone and the tags are gone across all my devices. I now have 203 notes which have no tags. I use Evernote to manage small projects at work as well as run my day to day tasks. All of this data is now useless until I get my tags back.

Has anyone had the same problem and if so is there any way to retrieve the tags without having to re-create them?

I am running Evernote on Windows 7 64bit. Today I open Evernote and ALL my tags have disappeared. Checked online and on my phone and the tags are gone across all my devices. I now have 203 notes which have no tags. I use Evernote to manage small projects at work as well as run my day to day tasks. All of this data is now useless until I get my tags back.

Has anyone had the same problem and if so is there any way to retrieve the tags without having to re-create them?

I guess it would be silly to ask if you have a recent backup of your database that you could restore from. If you do, this post by Heather should be helpful. But since it's for Mac, the restore process would be different, since what you'd do is restore from your exb file, instead of from Time Machine. But the subsequent steps would be the same.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21651-i-need-to-totally-restore-from-time-machine-how/?p=110320

If you don't have a backup, it would appear you are out of luck & this would be a good time to start making regular backups.

Note that this does not restore the tag hierarchy. And moving the restored notes from the local notebook to a sync'd one will go against your upload limit and any internal note links will be broken. But since you've apparently deleted all the tags & sync'd to the EN servers & sync'd all devices, I don't think there is any other way except simply recreating them.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ugggh! This just happened to me. Over 7400 notes over 4 years! I have an active support ticket open now that Evernote is working on...

Of course I don't have a recent backup. Of course I now realize the importance of backups – even with the cloud synced data. Which honestly DOES seems a little weird and counter-productive to the promise of cloud computing, but I suppose we're not quite there yet.  :mellow:

How did Evernote know I was re-organizing and simplifying everything in my life this month?

My "tragedy" might be just the kick in the pants I needed to complete my "digital simplification" project – of which my hundreds of Evernote tags was a biggie.  ;) 

(I have to reframe this situation in order to keep my sanity)

Archived