Entering tags

Entering a tag via the tag facility is OK, but why does it not allow tags in the body of the note ?

it would be so nice if you could just enter  #reallyimportant  (or of course your tag of choice!) when you think of it & it adds this to the tags and removes it from the body!

Cheers, Dave

Entering a tag via the tag facility is OK, but why does it not allow tags in the body of the note ?

it would be so nice if you could just enter #reallyimportant (or of course your tag of choice!) when you think of it & it adds this to the tags and removes it from the body!

Cheers, Dave

EN strives to not alter your notes. So tags are entered via the tag list. You can create your own keywords in the body of notes, if you wish. Hashtags are not searchable, though.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36345-hyphenated-searches-are-broken/

• Level 5*

Evernote supports tags that are similar to GMail's labels, not hashtags like Twitter. If you want to use hashtags, you can search for them using normal text search, either with the '#' character (if you use this you must enclose the search text in quotes) or without. Note that normal text search also includes matches in note titles and note tags. To expand on this:
* a search on "#MyTag" will find all occurrences of the text '#MyTag' in your note bodies, note titles and tags.
* a search on #MyTag (no quotes) will find all occurrences of the text 'MyTag' in your note bodies, note titles and tags.

One thing that I discovered is that if you have a tag named "#MyHashTag", a text search for "MyHashTag" will find it.

I imagine that Evernote does not automatically turn text following a '#' character into an Evernote tag is because some useful usages of Evernote have many occurrences that you wouldn't necessarily want to have as tags. I'm thinking of people who put code snippets for C-ish languages which use '#include', '#define', '#if', etc.). On the other hand, it would probably be pretty convenient for Evernote to provide a facility whereby you could turn a text selection into a tag via a right click menu option.

Also note that the '#' character is also called an octothorpe. "Octothorpe-tag" just doesn't come as quite as trippingly off the tongue as does "hashtag", does it? :)

• Level 5

it would be so nice if you could just enter  #reallyimportant  (or of course your tag of choice!) when you think of it & it adds this to the tags and removes it from the body!

Cheers, Dave

I do something like this on quite a few of my important notes.

I selected an easy to remember code number and insert it into notes at appropriate points.

It is similar to a tag, but it is inside the body of the note and works great for multi-page notes.

The cursor is brought deep into the note right where I want it.

I employ several tricks to hide the code and other tricks to make it easy to remember.

Yes, it is a work around, but it works quite nicely for me.

I am a premium user trying to share a notebook with another premium user. Although I have given this other premium user the right to modify notes within the shared notebook, they are not able to add new tags to the shared notebook. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way Evernote intends shared notes books to be, i.e. only the originator of the shared notebook can create tags?

I am a premium user trying to share a notebook with another premium user. Although I have given this other premium user the right to modify notes within the shared notebook, they are not able to add new tags to the shared notebook. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way Evernote intends shared notes books to be, i.e. only the originator of the shared notebook can create tags?

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33741-adding-tags-to-shared-notebook/

Archived