(Archived) Different number of notes across devices - sync issue

JP Spoons

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new Evernote user (4 months) and been delighted up until now, so this is my first post.

When I synced up my work laptop this morning, it took a long time, and when it had finished I'd lost about 400 notes. I run Evernote across three devices, and did a lot of notes admin yesterday on my desktop PC (which is a new installation - don't know if that could part of the issue?). 

After panicking, I did the following:

- Took my desktop PC offline and backed up all my notebooks;

- Checked the note count on the web version, which was nearly ok - see below;

- Uninstalled and reinstalled on my work laptop;

- Sync'd across all devices.

Note count after all of this is:

- Home desktop PC (Windows): 1145

- Phone (Android): 1145

- evernote.com: 1143

- Work laptop (Windows): 734

I will raise a support ticket but thought I'd try here first since it's a weekend and I'm a free user, so the official response might take a while. Has anyone seen an issue like this before, and has anyone resolved it?

Many thanks,

John.

• Level 5*

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new Evernote user (4 months) and been delighted up until now, so this is my first post.

When I synced up my work laptop this morning, it took a long time, and when it had finished I'd lost about 400 notes. I run Evernote across three devices, and did a lot of notes admin yesterday on my desktop PC (which is a new installation - don't know if that could part of the issue?). 

After panicking, I did the following:

- Took my desktop PC offline and backed up all my notebooks;

- Checked the note count on the web version, which was nearly ok - see below;

- Uninstalled and reinstalled on my work laptop;

- Sync'd across all devices.

Note count after all of this is:

- Home desktop PC (Windows): 1145

- Phone (Android): 1145

- evernote.com: 1143

- Work laptop (Windows): 734

I will raise a support ticket but thought I'd try here first since it's a weekend and I'm a free user, so the official response might take a while. Has anyone seen an issue like this before, and has anyone resolved it?

Many thanks,

John.

Hi. I've seen discrepancies before, but usually not on the Web. Could you provide us with some screen shots of your note counts? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Try emptying the trash on your desktop machine and check that you have no unsynced notes.  It can take a while to re-sync a full complement of notes. so I'd recheck at work when you're next there to see whether the note count is rising.

@gazumped,

Thanks, I'll give that a go - only about 20 of the notes were new since I last used the laptop though, so I suspect that it isn't *just* playing catch-up.

@grumpymonkey: it's taken a while to get all of the various formats playing but here are some screen shots, I hope they work. I couldn;t work out how to paste images direct so they're all attachments - apologies for the inconvenience :(

First is the desktop, with the full complement of notes;

Then the laptop with the deficient note count;

Then the Android phone;

Then the browser screenshot.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks, John.

post-174891-0-02112400-1389555302_thumb.

post-174891-0-64805700-1389555481_thumb.

post-174891-0-67471700-1389555741_thumb.

post-174891-0-71081900-1389556028_thumb.

• Level 5*

It doesn't look like you have local notebooks, so we can rule that out. The trash numbers match, so I doubt that is the issue. Assuming that everything is synced, it looks like you may have a serious problem here, because Android has more notes than the Web version, and that would (as far as I know) be impossible under normal circumstances (assuming that you have synced).

I would contact support. My guess is that they will tell you to move your database somewhere (to keep it safe) and uninstall or something like that. This is unlikely to help, because you will end up with the lower number of notes displayed on the Web, and you'll have to (I guess) somehow rummage through all of your old notes to try and track down the missing ones (if they are indeed missing). I would stress to them that the Web note count is LOWER than the one on both Android and Windows. This ought to be a red flag that they need to help you look more closely at your account to figure all of this out. I don't know what might have happened here, and I don't know the solution. Sorry. Please do let us know how this turns out, because it will help other users to know in the future. By the way, I'd strongly recommend backups to make sure nothing gets lost.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

The link to support is in my signature. Best of luck!

Hello all, many thanks for your suggestions on this.

I now have a (partial) solution to this issue :) I went into the Windows forum to read this thread without logging in, and as chance would have it an older post had risen to the top of the page by dint of a response earlier today:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23435-no-sync-between-evernote-web-and-local-evernote/

There's a suggestion on here about renaming the database, which made sense for my laptop issue, in that reinstalling had made no difference so it felt like Evernote needed to 'forget' the existing data and start again. And lo and behold - I'm back up to full note count on my work laptop.  :D

I'm still missing two notes on the browser version - they're in archive folders so more annoying than critical to my everyday workflow. I may still contact support, as I've no idea:

- how to resolve the browser issue;

- what caused this in the first place;

- how I can avoid it happening again.

For now though I'm a happy camper again, although I shall definitely be backing up from now on GrumpyMonkey!

Thanks again all,

John.

• Level 5*

Hello all, many thanks for your suggestions on this.

I now have a (partial) solution to this issue :) I went into the Windows forum to read this thread without logging in, and as chance would have it an older post had risen to the top of the page by dint of a response earlier today:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23435-no-sync-between-evernote-web-and-local-evernote/

There's a suggestion on here about renaming the database, which made sense for my laptop issue, in that reinstalling had made no difference so it felt like Evernote needed to 'forget' the existing data and start again. And lo and behold - I'm back up to full note count on my work laptop.  :D

I'm still missing two notes on the browser version - they're in archive folders so more annoying than critical to my everyday workflow. I may still contact support, as I've no idea:

- how to resolve the browser issue;

- what caused this in the first place;

- how I can avoid it happening again.

For now though I'm a happy camper again, although I shall definitely be backing up from now on GrumpyMonkey!

Thanks again all,

John.

Glad I could help with the suggestion for the backup.

As for the database, that was essentially what I was suggesting when I said they would tell you to move the database. Rename or move, this prompts the application to perform an initial sync and create a new database. The problem, as I saw it, was that your Web version that supplies the data for your database had fewer notes than the database on your computer, which would mean that you would only get what was on the Web, and something would be lost somewhere. That seems, indeed, to be what happened.

However, I am a little confused, because it shouldn't be possible for your online notes to have fewer notes than your local version after an initial sync, because the Web version is the "original" in this case. I must be missing something somewhere. Anyhow, I would contact support. This is definitely something you'll want to get figured out.

Archived