(Archived) Sync Issue?

jkenton

Good Afternoon!

I use the Windows client (5.1.0.2217 (270217)) and noticed that the sync column always has a few notes that seem to not sync.

That is, the little "dot" - that usually reflects "unsynced note" - never goes away after a sync.

Should I be concerned that those notes (presently 8286 notes out of 36294 have this attribute) are not getting synced?

Thanks!

Jeff

• Level 5*

You should definitely be concerned that they're not syncing - apart from being unable to view the latest version of those notes online,  you have no backup other than what's on your HDD and anything you might have backed up locally.  I had the same issue and wound up exporting those notes to an ENEX file,  deleting Everote and my database,  and allowing the server to rebuild it.  

Then I re-imported my previously unsyncable notes and miraculously they got with the program (puns intended) and duly synced with the server.  I have fewer notes than you (about 40% of your total) but it took me around 48 hours before I got all my notes back.  

You may want to check with Support first to see if there's a less energetic solution,  but if you do want to go ahead,  the process in full is:

• brew (or pour) sustaining beverage of choice
  • copy your current database folder somewhere else,  just in case bad things happen.  You'll then be able to get back to this stage whatever happens.
  • sync everything that will sync.
  • click in the 'sync' column and sort all your unsynced notes in one place.
  • if they're all from the same notebook - no problem,  just choose File > Export > ..as an ENEX file and store that file somewhere handy
  • if they're from different notebooks you'll have to do this one notebook at a time.  ENEX files don't restore to specific notebooks.  Save somewhere safe as <notebookname>.enex
  • do you have any 'local only' notebooks?  Those notes don't sync,  but you'll have to ENEX them too.
  • now the exciting bit.  File > Exit completely from Evernote.
  • Revo uninstall Evernote and delete the database folder.
  • reinstall Evernote
  • sign in with your usual user name and wait (use beverage of choice liberally here) - you're going to have to download all your notes.
  • now import the ENEX files back into your notebooks
  • sync again
  • make sure it all worked...

You're remembering I'm just a user at this point,  right?

Good luck!

:)

I think I may have stumbled across a similar issue here.

I have a note that is not syncing and causes me to see the "Sync on exit message" because of it.

Question, in the list view, does it list a notebook? For me, it is blank it seems. The odd thing is that it is actually in a notebook, so I don't quite know what is going on there.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/ed2e02c5-5763-45ea-b687-c367d54d0df9/f4e4a0d118757087d1bd21ac0628afe0

• Level 5*

I think I may have stumbled across a similar issue here.

I have a note that is not syncing and causes me to see the "Sync on exit message" because of it.

Question, in the list view, does it list a notebook? For me, it is blank it seems. The odd thing is that it is actually in a notebook, so I don't quite know what is going on there.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/ed2e02c5-5763-45ea-b687-c367d54d0df9/f4e4a0d118757087d1bd21ac0628afe0

Anything in the logs?

Interesting

17:33:58 [5508] 0% Skipping note "Screen clip" in an unsynced notebook "0"17:33:58 [5508] 50% Skipping resource "6cd39c6d2c57a9ad3eafe25bf3c270af" of an unsynced note "Screen clip"
I don't know what this means exactly.

I don't want to detract from jkenton's issue here, as it may not even be related. Lets wait to see whether his logs show anything interesting :)

Archived