(Archived) Help using Evernote for secure and non-secure information

I'm looking for suggestions and help and if I've got this in the wrong place please let me know.

I use Evernote for notes I use at work and at home and random stuff.  I recently started going "paperless" at home and love it, but I'd like to be able to keep access to private files separate.  I'd like to be able to access my non-secure notes quickly without a code as I access them frequently.  The secure stuff I usually access at home and do so much less often.  Is there a way to separate areas within Evernote in terms of security and in terms of searching?

Thank you,

D

one option would be to keep all of your secure stuff in "local" notebooks. These are notebooks that are only stored locally on the machine they were created, they do not get synced to any server. This means that only you (or anyone with physical access to your machine) can access those files. 

When you create a new notebook in Evernote for Mac or Windows, you are presented with the option in the dialogue box that comes up. 

Please remember that because these files are only stored locally, you NEED to have a backup system of your own (such as Time Machine for Mac). While synced notebooks can always be retrieved from Evernote's servers in the event that your device fails, no such option exists for local notebooks.

Backup backup backup!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't figure out how to make a stack of notebooks local.  I sent a request to Evernote 3 weeks ago, but they're pretty busy and have so far only let me know they're sorry taking so long and will get back to me when they can.  In the meantime, can anyone help me?  I'm running the program on Windows 7.

Thank you,

D

• Level 5*

I can't figure out how to make a stack of notebooks local.  I sent a request to Evernote 3 weeks ago, but they're pretty busy and have so far only let me know they're sorry taking so long and will get back to me when they can.  In the meantime, can anyone help me?  I'm running the program on Windows 7.

Thank you,

D

You cannot make a stack of notebooks local except by making each of the individual notebooks local, and combining them into a stack.
  • Level 5*

Thank you. I feel foolish asking, but how do make an individual notebook local?

Ah yes, no need to feel foolish. There's actually no way to make a notebook local, you need to designate it as local when you create it. So in your case, you'd need to make some number of local notebooks, and move the notes from the original notebooks into them as appropriate, delete the old (and now empty) notebooks, and then make a stack of the new local notebooks.

Archived