(Archived) Database snapshots.

Hi.

Using Evernote on win8 and Android for about one year (mainly to prevent data losses), I recently had some issues with a few notes that were chopped without my consent; so I took a premium accound to recover them through the history option as suggested by the "chat support" agent (also available with the premium account). I got back some of those notes but one remains unrecovered since history versions are also lacking.

I started up a support request then I got a ticket number (#224990), but no answers after a week.

My queries are the following :

1) Do Evernote datacenters store snapshots of users databases regularly?

2) If so, is there a way to get one those databases snapshots?

Thanks for reading and eventually answering those questions.

Regards (from France/Paris region user).

• Level 5*

1) Yes,  but at (I think) server level - so your data is part of a wedge of information belonging to an unknown number of users (lots) serviced by that node.

2) Wouldn't have thought so without an unfeasible amount of disruption and cost - this is a snapshot of information meant to rescue the server back to an active state if it suffers a sudden catastrophe,  All the accounts involved would be stepped back to the time the snapshot was taken,  affecting many more users adversely.

Hi.

Thanks for your bother and answers. So, I guess that those global snapshots may only be used for recovery in case of sudden overall blackouts.

I thought that Evernote had  smaller ones that are stored locally on their servers; which could be accessed more easily.

I actually have chatted to an "agent" of the "chat support"; the previous support ticket got a feedback :) right away; telling me that a "level 2" support one was triggered.

If something may be learned for that is the danger of syncing :

1) any remote (wanted or not...) alteration of your data impacts instantally your local ones.

2) So saving regularly and locally the database in a personal directory is highly recommended.

Hope I'll get some feedback soon or maybe a "level 3" support ticket trigger. ;-)

Regards from Paris.

• Level 5*

Hi.

Thanks for your bother and answers. So, I guess that those global snapshots may only be used for recovery in case of sudden overall blackouts.

I thought that Evernote had  smaller ones that are stored locally on their servers; which could be accessed more easily.

I actually have chatted to an "agent" of the "chat support"; the previous support ticket got a feedback :) right away; telling me that a "level 2" support one was triggered.

If something may be learned for that is the danger of syncing :

1) any remote (wanted or not...) alteration of your data impacts instantally your local ones.

2) So saving regularly and locally the database in a personal directory is highly recommended.

Hope I'll get some feedback soon or maybe a "level 3" support ticket trigger. ;-)

Regards from Paris.

I recommend your own backups, preferably something with versions (like the Mac's TimeMachine). I've got daily backups stretching back several years, and this system has come in handy (for other apps) many times.

Hi.

Thanks for your bother; I actually have never used Mac/Apple stuff; I rather stick to pc; by the way; what I learned from that is :

1) syncing data doesn't solve the problem of losing it; as i thought.

2) saving it locally/remotely in personal spots is highly recommended.

For the issue of the lost note, according to the support team, the global database snapshots cannot be used for personal notes recovery; which is nearly a non sense.

I have forwarded some queries to them, waiting for some feedback.

Regards.

Archived