(Archived) Evernote sucks!

phubbs

I use Evernote on Mac, iPad, and iPhone. At least I try to. But its abysmal performance on all these platforms defeats me most of the time. It is hopelessly slow. I need to make notes quickly on the fly and to access them instantly from any of my platforms, otherwise the program is simply no use to me. Time and again I boot it up to make a quick note and find that there is several minute of waiting time to even get a cursor. I see this concern everywhere on your forums and for a long time. Fix it now please! Until you do, your program is *****. A waste of time and money.

• Level 5*

I use Evernote on Mac, iPad, and iPhone. At least I try to. But its abysmal performance on all these platforms defeats me most of the time. It is hopelessly slow. I need to make notes quickly on the fly and to access them instantly from any of my platforms, otherwise the program is simply no use to me. Time and again I boot it up to make a quick note and find that there is several minute of waiting time to even get a cursor. I see this concern everywhere on your forums and for a long time. Fix it now please! Until you do, your program is *****. A waste of time and money.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I agree that things are slow on the Mac and iPad, and I would like to see things get faster in future updates. There are two easy solutions for the moment.

1. On the Mac, use the quick note function.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/03/12/evernote-for-mac-update-save-time-with-quick-note/

2. On the iPad, use a third-party integration like FastEver.

http://appcenter.evernote.com/app/fastever/iphone

Interesting... that has not been my experience. I use EN on my personal and work MacBook Pros (one a hard drive, the other an SSD), on my iPad, and my iPhone, and have excellent speed when starting up, creating notes, switching between notebooks and notes, and searching. Occasionally I have to tell it manually to sync, but other than that it's pretty snappy.

• Level 5*

Interesting... that has not been my experience. I use EN on my personal and work MacBook Pros (one a hard drive, the other an SSD), on my iPad, and my iPhone, and have excellent speed when starting up, creating notes, switching between notebooks and notes, and searching. Occasionally I have to tell it manually to sync, but other than that it's pretty snappy.

It might depend on your computer, the amount of churn in your account, the content of your account, and the size of your database. In my case, it takes a couple of seconds from pressing the "new note" button to seeing a new note appear on the Mac. Searches can be quite drawn out to the point that I go to another app while it is doing a search. However, as noted by myself and others on these forums, I am something of an outlier with a large database, lots of churn, and lots of text. I do have a snappy computer, though :)

• Level 5*

My first day experience - updates on a Mac did not sync timely with updates on a PC and resulted in my page getting moved to 'Conflicting Changes' - I was worried my changes got lost, but I found them there.

Evernote does not constantly sync. It intermittently syncs. On the Mac, you can change the frequency in your preferences. If you are moving from one computer to another, press the force sync buttons (the icons in the toolbars). This will make sure everything is synced and will greatly reduce the chances of having note conflicts.

It didn't suck in the past, until recent updates.  Now, yes it is slow.  Features have been stripped.  Often I find myself in the situation of EV being more and more frustrating than productive.  If they just reverted to the previous version (before ios7 both mac and ios), i would be a very happy user! 

Archived