(Archived) Do you use Evernote PLUS Delicious or INSTEAD of Delicious?

I recently began using Evernote and this is my first post to the forum. I have not yet imported my Delicious bookmarks, but I will probably do so soon.

In your use, has Evernote become a replacement for Delicious or do you use both? If you still use Delicious, why, and have you found that you're saving the same bookmarks to it and Evernote?

Thanks!

I eventually switched to using Evernote as my primary repository for bookmarks. It's a decision I am both pleased and not pleased with. It works well -- online and offline access to my bookmark url's, tags and notes -- and the search is pretty responsive. Unlike ma.gnolia, del.ici.us or diigo there are no ads or down time to contend with. I'm happy about that.

On the down side, though, I'm pretty much stuck with Evernote now as there's no easy/intuitive way to get my "bookmarks" out of it in a format any other bookmark manager could understand -- this is an oversight on my part and I'm a bit frustrated with it. Not because I necessarily want to move to another bookmark solution, per se, but because I don't like feeling locked in -- which is exactly what I am (short of investing time and effort into writing a program to manage the conversion). The biggest complaint I have, though, is when I imported my 3500+ bookmarks, it overwhelmed my tag list and the slow down when using the "All Notebooks" view is non-trivial.

Evernote is not the ideal bookmark manager -- honestly, I still am not sure why there's a del.icio.us importer. I like having all my notes/data in one place, including bookmarks, so it works OK for me but it's not the most elegant solution. It's sort of a round-a-bout way of managing bookmarks.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Delicious plus Evernote.

While its nice that links in notes "work" thats (to me) no reason to use something external to a browser as the repository for data I both generate and use only in a browser (i.e. a bookmarked url).

Probably not unrelated is the fact that none of my delicious bookmarks have notes attached to them...

• 3 weeks later...

I use both, depending on what kind of thing I'm bookmarking. If it's something that is very useful to a current project, or is something I feel I will want to refer back to frequently, or that I would want to always have available when searching for a particular kind of information, I'll put it in EN, usually as a proper webclip though, not just a link. I see EN as a kind of ultimate personal library as well as a notebook. I do put pure "bookmarks" in EN when I have a particular project I'm working on and I want to keep web references together, although I tend to put several links in one note for this purpose, rather than using a note for an individual bookmark. I'll often add a few notes as bullet points under each link too. Delicious gets my more traditional bookmarks, those "that might be useful/interesting" kinds of pages, sites I return to regularly, and links I want to share with other people. Some links end up in both EN & delicious too.

I like the fact that delicious is well integrated with my browser (I have the firefox extension, which means I can access bookmarks via a sidebar, a toolbar, and now via the "awesomebar", which truly is awesome), and that delicious bookmarks are shared by default (by bookmarking something in delicious I'm helping others find it too). In fact, the "awesomebar" (address bar) integation is amazing - I can start typing the name of a website (either its address or title) or a delicious tag and it doesn't matter whether I've bookmarked it in delicious, my firefox bookmarks (which I rarely add to these days but still use for a few things) or I've just visited it at some point and it's in my browsing history. I'd love to see EN search results in there too, then I'd never have to remember where I've "put" something! Until EN is more integrated with my browser I doubt I'll be switching entirely to EN for bookmarking. It's great for many things, but it hasn't been designed specifically around bookmarking like delicious has, which, I feel, makes it less suited to the purpose.

The biggest complaint I have, though, is when I imported my 3500+ bookmarks, it overwhelmed my tag list and the slow down when using the "All Notebooks" view is non-trivial.

Yes, yes, yes. I regretted the decision almost immediately and deleted all the bookmarks back out. I then spent nearly a full day in Delicious cleaning up old bookmarks and tags with the intent to re-import once they were cleaned up, but then thought, why? Exactly because, as you said:

Evernote is not the ideal bookmark manager -- honestly, I still am not sure why there's a del.icio.us importer. I like having all my notes/data in one place, including bookmarks, so it works OK for me but it's not the most elegant solution. It's sort of a round-a-bout way of managing bookmarks.

The reason I use Delicious (and how I use it) is very different from the reasons I use Evernote, the latter being used to store a kind of web history, but usually more for the content or an excerpt of the content than for the link itself. Once I saw all those links with no content (and scarcely any context) sitting there in Evernote looking minimalist and cryptic, it struck me as silly and pointless to keep my main cache of bookmarks in there.

Besides, Delicious has all the social benefits, being plugged into my FriendFeed, my Facebook, and so on, and it has the ranking/popularity features similar to, but lighter than, Digg. After attempting to pull my bookmarking activity away from Delicious, I realized why I shouldn't.

delicious is for bookmarking and sharing things on the go (through rss)

evernote is for storage of the bookmarks that i choose to read (and email to my kindle) as well of the organization of my own projects.

Archived