(Archived) Clipping with "Simplified Article"

mstankus

My default clipping type for web clipper is "simplified article".

When a person uses this, the workflow is a little awkward.

Here is the workflow.

1) Press web clipper icon.

2) Find small arrow tab on the right side of the screen.

3) click on the tab.

4) Inspect the notebook and tags

5) Click on save.

I propose that instead, the notebook name could be indicated

in the view between steps 1 and 2 above and that a  "Save" tab

also be present to allow saving without having to click the 

arrow tab near the top of the screen and then move to the 

bottom of the screen.

Yes, I agree that hiding the sidebar automatically in simplified article mode is quite jarring. I'll work on changing that behavior. 

In the meantime to save you can press ENTER even when the sidebar is hidden. (though this doesn't allow you to inspect tags & notebook) 

Oh thank God I'm not the only one uber annoyed by this. I completely understand that the functionality was ported over from Clearly, but I hated it in that app too. I think it should be an option, as I'm sure there are users out there who use the simplified article form not for saving, but for reading the page in the browser.

Regarding the "enter" key trick: often the "enter" key does nothing when on simplified article mode and the sidebar is hidden. 85% of the time the "enter" key only saves the article if the sidebar is open for me. I'm in Chrome version 30.xx if that's any help.

• 2 months later...

IMO, hiding the sidebar in "simplified article" mode just because somebody might want to read the article without clipping it is just dumb and annoying—especially in a product whose name is "Web Clipper"! 

Have you forgotten that Safari has a big blue "Reader" button just for those people who only want to read the article?

@RobLewis 

Great - always a good conversation starter when people call out decisions as dumb an annoying. 

In any case this behavior has been changed in the latest WC release on Chrome, 6.0.7 and will roll out on other browsers in the next release. 

@RobLewis 

Great - always a good conversation starter when people call out decisions as dumb an annoying. 

In any case this behavior has been changed in the latest WC release on Chrome, 6.0.7 and will roll out on other browsers in the next release. 

Am I not allowed to say that something in your software annoys me? Especially when I very clearly identify it as my personal opinion? I sort of thought that was one reason companies user-test their software before releasing it. The OP identified the behavior as "awkward" and you didn't object to that. Perhaps a list of approved adjectives? 

As for "dumb", well, OK, I could have been more polite; apologies. I'm sure I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't a Safari user accustomed to using its "Reader" button. 

Archived