Evernote [debug]-Menu

Olli

Hello!

In the Windows-Start-Menu it ist possible to start evernote with evernote /debug.

The Result ist a hidden menu: "[debug]"

These are the topics:

[debug]
1. Test Feature
2. Walk Message Boxes
3. Optimize Database (german: Datenbank optimieren) 
4. Reindex Database (german: Datenbank neu indizieren)
5. Reindex Type ahead Database (german: )
6. Recreate Note Images (german: Bilder in Notizen neu erstellen)
7. Recreate Note Snippets (german: Ausschnitt-Notiz erstellen)
8. Select unassigned Tags (german: Nicht zugewiesene Schlagwörter auswählen)
9. Fix lost ressources (german: Verlorene Ressourcen reparieren)
10. View Tags (german: Schlagwörter anzeigen)
11. View Notebook (german: Zeige Notizbuch)

The function of some of these are obvious, others are not. 

Does somebody know exactly, what happens in the background, when you use one of these?
What is the benefit of using these functions?

In the first place I'm courious about (Questions behind the topics)

1. Test Feature -?
2. Walk Message Boxes (A walk through the bushes with a printout of your evernote-Message Boxes?)
3. Optimize Database (german: Datenbank optimieren) - What exactly happens in the background?
4. Reindex Database (german: Datenbank neu indizieren) - For what reason?
5. Reindex Type ahead Database (german: thist menu seems not to be shown in the german version?!) - ?
6. Recreate Note Images (german: Bilder in Notizen neu erstellen) - Why should this be necessary?)
7. Recreate Note Snippets (german: Ausschnitt-Notiz erstellen) - ?
8. Select unassigned Tags (german: Nicht zugewiesene Schlagwörter auswählen) - o.k.
9. Fix lost ressources (german: Verlorene Ressourcen reparieren) - ?
10. View Tags (german: Schlagwörter anzeigen) - o.k.
11. View Notebook (german: Zeige Notizbuch) - Seems just showing the notebooks in the main screen... - o.k.

Is there a documentation available?

Thank you for your help,

Olli

So, as I understand it, this is appropriately named, a debugging option. I think it has more uses in support situations than in general Evernote use.

Some menu items are added by devs when they are developing and testing certain features.

2. Walk Message Boxes: shows you every possible message box that EN will generate (as far as I know anyway) It will take a while of clicking to get through them all :P

9. Fix lost resources: If I remember correctly, this is related to an old bug in which resources (read attachments) would not show correctly in the interface. I don't think it was too common but there are some instances where it occurred. This searches your notes for this situation and tries to reconnect the resources to the notes. If it can't it refers you to the support channels.

Others will force a re-index/recreation of whatever it says. This can be for a number of reasons. For example, I believe that I have seen in the forum before where a note didn't update a snippet image. The menu option (6) should force it to be updated by recreating all of them.

There isn't any documentation that I know of, probably because for the most part, they are not used outside of EN Support.

• 8 months later...

I found several threads about optimizing via the debug menu to speed up EN on windows. Now I'm curious as to the differences between Optimize and Reindex. Does Optimize do everything or should you try the other options in order to prevent the Not Responding issue that keeps occurring in the Windows version? 

I've only tried 'Optimize', which seems to do everything, with 'Reindexing...' appearing in the progress bar as one of the phases.  As someone else noted in another thread, it also seems to speed up the database considerably.  I usually do a disk defrag immediately afterwards to ensure the Evernote .exb file is located contiguously on my hard drive as well.

Archived