(Archived) Maximum limit of additional upload allowance

I'm using Evernote for several years, but for most of the time it was my secondary ecosystem. I used a Google Drive, Google Docs and recently Google Keep. But things are changing and I've found Evernote more and more useful and decided that it will be me primary ecosystem. 

I'll dump Google Drive and Google Docs and move all my digital Content to Evernote. And by all my digital content I mean hundreds of GB. (I'm currently using 400GB Google Drive plan).

I've never thought that it can actually happen, but sometimes I just needed to put PDF magazine to mobile devices and just used Evernote, and when I was going to delete it, I just said myself - why? I don't need to. Once it's uploaded into Evernote, why would I delete it? I'm not limited by amount of stored data, but by upload. And I realized that it can be applied to most of my digital content.

(Second thing is little more personal that I don't fully agree with some steps that Google has recently made, but it's not important.)

I've explored all my stuff on Google Drive, chose the really important things (voice memos, PDFs, photos) and it's still about 20GB. As I said, it's almost all my digital life :)

But how was I surprised that I can buy max amount of 5GB additional data per month and max. 25GB of data over the course of year. (and that I can't choose thumbnail photo, but it's another story).

I'll handle this in some way, but I'm still surprised. It should be in Evernote's interest to sell as many traffic as possible. And even if transfer of such amount of data is probably not common, I have two other people around me which has the same issue - one moving from Dropbox and one from Google Drive as well.

As I said - I'll handle this, but I would still prefer a little bigger monthly limit for purchasing additional storage, so I don't have to wait several months until all my data are transferred.

• Level 5*

I'm using Evernote for several years, but for most of the time it was my secondary ecosystem. I used a Google Drive, Google Docs and recently Google Keep. But things are changing and I've found Evernote more and more useful and decided that it will be me primary ecosystem. 

I'll dump Google Drive and Google Docs and move all my digital Content to Evernote. And by all my digital content I mean hundreds of GB. (I'm currently using 400GB Google Drive plan).

I've never thought that it can actually happen, but sometimes I just needed to put PDF magazine to mobile devices and just used Evernote, and when I was going to delete it, I just said myself - why? I don't need to. Once it's uploaded into Evernote, why would I delete it? I'm not limited by amount of stored data, but by upload. And I realized that it can be applied to most of my digital content.

(Second thing is little more personal that I don't fully agree with some steps that Google has recently made, but it's not important.)

I've explored all my stuff on Google Drive, chose the really important things (voice memos, PDFs, photos) and it's still about 20GB. As I said, it's almost all my digital life :)

But how was I surprised that I can buy max amount of 5GB additional data per month and max. 25GB of data over the course of year. (and that I can't choose thumbnail photo, but it's another story).

I'll handle this in some way, but I'm still surprised. It should be in Evernote's interest to sell as many traffic as possible. And even if transfer of such amount of data is probably not common, I have two other people around me which has the same issue - one moving from Dropbox and one from Google Drive as well.

As I said - I'll handle this, but I would still prefer a little bigger monthly limit for purchasing additional storage, so I don't have to wait several months until all my data are transferred.

Hi. Actually, the limit for one year is a little higher :)

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

Also, you might want to consider what might happen with that much data in your account. Evernote is working on making the app more responsive for large database users, but they do not have selective sync (yet), so whatever goes into your account you'll also have to make sure you have room on your local drive for it. Here are my suggestions for optimization. They are not ideal, and not for everyone, but with several terabytes of data, they were necessary for me.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

I have several issues with Google Drive. One of the biggest ones involved their handling of PDFs. They refuse to index entire PDFs in large files (even if I OCR it), so it makes their search useless. If it doesn't search everything, then I am better off just using Spotlight on my own computer. I canceled my paid subscription and I think it is unlikely I will use it again (there are other reasons as well). Evernote and GDrive are not the same thing, and my advice would be to approach them differently. As you already noted, you cannot just throw your data from GDrive into Evernote. It has to be uploaded over time. In addition, each note (as you'll see on my page about Evernote limits) can only be 5MB of size (internal text content) and 100 MB total (including attachments). This leaves out a large percentage of my PDFs (again, please see my post about optimization).

By "limits" I don't necessarily mean "weaknesses." There are very smart reasons why Evernote does things the way it does, and I actually agree with some of the decisions, even though it causes difficulties for my particular use case. 

Thanks Chris, I'll definitely check your site, I'm always open for new ideas :)

I've been talking about "additional data per month" and forgot for 1GB which is already part of Premium account :)

So yes, it's 37GB per year (1 GB x 12 months + 25 GB of additional storage for purchase). 

Indexing large PDFs is one of that reason why I've switched. To be honest, the only thing I'm missing is impossibility to choose cover photo and no Penultimate for Android tablets. 

And last thing - I have many Evernote points (from Evernote Smart Notebook by Moleskine etc.) and I can't even use them anymore this month for increasing upload limit :)) #firstworldproblems

• Level 5*

Thanks Chris, I'll definitely check your site, I'm always open for new ideas :)

I've been talking about "additional data per month" and forgot for 1GB which is already part of Premium account :)

So yes, it's 37GB per year (1 GB x 12 months + 25 GB of additional storage for purchase). 

Indexing large PDFs is one of that reason why I've switched. To be honest, the only thing I'm missing is impossibility to choose cover photo and no Penultimate for Android tablets. 

And last thing - I have many Evernote points (from Evernote Smart Notebook by Moleskine etc.) and I can't even use them anymore this month for increasing upload limit :)) #firstworldproblems

You brought up a good point about those points (pun intended -- LOL). I bet lots of people will start thinking of the points this way, especially when they are migrating into Evernote from somewhere else with lots of data. 

Archived