(Archived) Need Help Please! EN with portable Hard drive?

I am feeling very frustrated:( I have read many many blogs, threads etc but it seems that it is all older info.  Here is what I need help with...

I am a premium user, I use EN on my ipad, iphone, web, and Windows apps.  I use it for personal and business, here is the catch, I use the web version at work since I am not able to download the Windows software to my work computer.  At home I of course use the Windows version and keep some of my work notebooks saved on my local drive (feeling like this is the most secure way to keep work files)  I purchased a portable harddrive thinking I would be able to use that as my local drive (changed my backup on EN to that portable device) and be able to access those local notebooks while at work but so far it is not working.  Can this be done in the newest version? Please help.... :)

• Level 5*

OK let's agree some naming conventions.  Within Evernote a 'local' notebook is one that is saved only on your hard drive and not shared with the web.  In the Windows version (as with other desktops) all your notebooks are saved on the hard drive of your computer,  and those notebooks which are not local are synced with the Evernote servers.  If I understood correctly you're using the web version for your work files,  so they are available to you from home;  your home files will be available no matter what drive they're saved on,  so why the external hard drive?  It would be a good idea to back up your database to the hard drive regularly,  but you don't need to divert your main Evernote database there.  Evernote won't work well with a removeable drive as its main target,  and you run serious risks of losing notes and/ or corrupting your database both on your hard drive and on the web if there are problems reading or writing to the external drive.  Elsewhere in the forum there's mention of two accounts to keep work and home apart,  with one sharing some notebooks with the other.  You might want to rethink your option choices...

I am feeling very frustrated:( I have read many many blogs, threads etc but it seems that it is all older info.  Here is what I need help with...

I am a premium user, I use EN on my ipad, iphone, web, and Windows apps.  I use it for personal and business, here is the catch, I use the web version at work since I am not able to download the Windows software to my work computer.  At home I of course use the Windows version and keep some of my work notebooks saved on my local drive (feeling like this is the most secure way to keep work files)  I purchased a portable harddrive thinking I would be able to use that as my local drive (changed my backup on EN to that portable device) and be able to access those local notebooks while at work but so far it is not working.  Can this be done in the newest version? Please help.... :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you cannot do this, since you're using the web client at work.  The web client does not use any files from your hard drive.  The web client only uses the EN servers.  Hence the name. 

• 1 month later...

Well, that doesn't seem fair! I'm a premium member and I have an Macbook with the retina display, those with the really tiny solid state (and expensive) internal hard drives. So it's hard enough as it is for me to save space on my hard drive, and I don't save any document on my harddrive, to try to save space. I also run a few applications from my mini SD card (sitting in my brand new Nifty drive, for those of you who know what that is. I also use evernote daily on my ipad, iPhone and computer. I have a moskine notebook, and many apps that back up on evernote (all my devices have a evernote folders of apps. So my point is, I just noticed evernote is saving precious gigs upon gigs of files on my computer!!! what the heck? I thought the service was exactly for me to save my notes on the cloud. I thought there must be a solution to at lease back up elsewhere, and this is one of the related questions I find, with an Evernote expert saying that the service "won't back up correctly to an external drive, and you risk malfunction..." Really? Am I supposed to have a grouwing library of tens of gigs on my laptop, or choose not to use the desktop software?

Btw, I love Evernote, I just also need my harddrive space! Anyone can help?

• Level 5*

Well, that doesn't seem fair! I'm a premium member and I have an Macbook with the retina display, those with the really tiny solid state (and expensive) internal hard drives. So it's hard enough as it is for me to save space on my hard drive, and I don't save any document on my harddrive, to try to save space. I also run a few applications from my mini SD card (sitting in my brand new Nifty drive, for those of you who know what that is. I also use evernote daily on my ipad, iPhone and computer. I have a moskine notebook, and many apps that back up on evernote (all my devices have a evernote folders of apps. So my point is, I just noticed evernote is saving precious gigs upon gigs of files on my computer!!! what the heck? I thought the service was exactly for me to save my notes on the cloud. I thought there must be a solution to at lease back up elsewhere, and this is one of the related questions I find, with an Evernote expert saying that the service "won't back up correctly to an external drive, and you risk malfunction..." Really? Am I supposed to have a grouwing library of tens of gigs on my laptop, or choose not to use the desktop software?

Btw, I love Evernote, I just also need my harddrive space! Anyone can help?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I faced the same situation and came up with this solution.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

It may not work in your case, but it is something to consider. It certainly has saved me a lot of headaches. Until we get selective sync, I'm afraid there aren't many options.

Archived