(Archived) Links are not working if imported from Local Notebook

Rafal108

Dear All,

Just experimented with export/import local notebooks. The link doesn't work anymore when imported. (V5 Beta/Win 8), i got the message - the link refers to location which doesnt exist on that computer. Two notes are in the same notebook. That would mean that you cannot use the link for local notebooks as they will not be working after import.

Please tell me that I am missing something

• Level 5*

Don't think I understand that - "export/import local notebooks"  Are you transferring a local notebook from one machine to another?  In which case,  yes the note location (or the UID) will obviously have changed,  so won't work on any other machine than the one for which it was created.  I don't think anyone anticipated local notebooks being moved around - that's kind've what the online version is for..

Don't think I understand that - "export/import local notebooks"  Are you transferring a local notebook from one machine to another?  In which case,  yes the note location (or the UID) will obviously have changed,  so won't work on any other machine than the one for which it was created.  I don't think anyone anticipated local notebooks being moved around - that's kind've what the online version is for..

Let's say you have your local notebook. in that local notebook you created notes which are linked.. then you've purchased new computer, so you export the notebook and then import it on new computer, but then the links within that Local Notebook are not working anymore, at least not in V5 Beta Win 8. I thougth that if the Notebook name is the same it will still work within the notebook

Is there any other solution?

Hope, now it is more clear. 

• Level 5*

Just had a look at one of my local notebooks and requested a link - Evernote popped up this warning.

I'm guessing the act of importing the notebook anywhere will change the UID of the note,  so the link is corrupted.  If you're moving your whole account however,  could you not simply backup the old database and restore it over the top of your new installation?  That way the links might be preserved.

post-63053-0-10844100-1375203987_thumb.p

Just had a look at one of my local notebooks and requested a link - Evernote popped up this warning.

I'm guessing the act of importing the notebook anywhere will change the UID of the note,  so the link is corrupted.  If you're moving your whole account however,  could you not simply backup the old database and restore it over the top of your new installation?  That way the links might be preserved.

Thank you! Could you explain how 'back up' would differ here from importing the notes ? 

The other idea  I thought of, was copy the files from Local Notebooks to Online Notebooks, then on new computer switch it again to Local Notebooks (just moving from Online to Local), or in simple words, what is the way to move from one computer to the other with the Local Notebook preserving the links web ?

Thank you! Could you explain how 'back up' would differ here from importing the notes ? 

The other idea  I thought of, was copy the files from Local Notebooks to Online Notebooks, then on new computer switch it again to Local Notebooks (just moving from Online to Local), or in simple words, what is the way to move from one computer to the other with the Local Notebook preserving the links web ?

Backup is just that - you're backing up your files so you can restore them in the event of a computer/drive crash and/or moving to another computer.  For the Windows app, you simply need to backup the exb file.  I don't know if the WIndows 8 client functions similarly, so you should probably check with support.  (See my sig.)  For more info on the non-Windows 8 backup (exb file), please search the board, since this has been discussed a lot already.

Backup is just that - you're backing up your files so you can restore them in the event of a computer/drive crash and/or moving to another computer.  For the Windows app, you simply need to backup the exb file.  I don't know if the WIndows 8 client functions similarly, so you should probably check with support.  (See my sig.)  For more info on the non-Windows 8 backup (exb file), please search the board, since this has been discussed a lot already.

Just to be sure: do you mean copying [username].exb file will make all the notebooks (incl.local) with the links working on the new computer? that would be clean work..

• Level 5*

In theory,  yes - but it's your data and we haven't done this move between OS's before,  so keep your backups handy and run a few trials before you junk your old machine!!

e sure: do you mean copying [username].exb file will make all the notebooks (incl.local) with the links working on the new computer? that would be clean work..

As Gaz said, yes.  I've done this many, many times when moving between computers.  But like I said, I don't know about the Win 8 client.  You should check with support before trying this.  My major point is that as Gaz also said, exporting/importing notes is not the same as backing up the database.  Backup/restore is for moving between computers, as long as they are using the EN non-Win 8 Windows client.  Export/import is more for transferring notes between accounts or restoring a select few notes from a backup to be put into the newer, live database.

e sure: do you mean copying [username].exb file will make all the notebooks (incl.local) with the links working on the new computer? that would be clean work..

As Gaz said, yes.  I've done this many, many times when moving between computers.  But like I said, I don't know about the Win 8 client.  You should check with support before trying this.  My major point is that as Gaz also said, exporting/importing notes is not the same as backing up the database.  Backup/restore is for moving between computers, as long as they are using the EN non-Win 8 Windows client.  Export/import is more for transferring notes between accounts or restoring a select few notes from a backup to be put into the newer, live database.

Ok, will try this. Thank you, both!

Archived