(Archived) What does this even mean?

On the Mac App Store there is a review for Evernote that says:

"However I am a writer and I REFUSE to allow some company to swipe my work and take ownership of my personal writings! THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!! UNINSTALLED PRONTO!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH THIS! Take note I REFUSE to grant my personal property to anyone else."

Is this a legitimate concern? I am a real estate agent and downloaded the app thinking it'd be a great way to organize client files & such, especially being that we are required by law to hold certain documents for up to 3 years amount of time.

Also, pretty disappointed there is no kind of calendar integration. I understand this is not a task manager, but it'd be nice to be able to type in 'meet client at 6PM Wed' and have it integrate to my calendar.

"However I am a writer and I REFUSE to allow some company to swipe my work and take ownership of my personal writings! THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!! UNINSTALLED PRONTO!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH THIS! Take note I REFUSE to grant my personal property to anyone else."

Is this a legitimate concern? I am a real estate agent and downloaded the app thinking it'd be a great way to organize client files & such, especially being that we are required by law to hold certain documents for up to 3 years amount of time.

Also, pretty disappointed there is no kind of calendar integration. I understand this is not a task manager, but it'd be nice to be able to type in 'meet client at 6PM Wed' and have it integrate to my calendar.

That review is ludicrous. Evernote does not take ownership of your notes. I don't even know why the reviewer thinks this. When you sync your notes, they do go through Evernote's cloud. Just like Dropbox syncs through its cloud & various other cloud apps sync through their cloud. That's what a cloud is. But that does not give these apps ownership of what you put in them.

Moved to general discussion, since it has nothing to do with the knowledge base.

Is this a legitimate concern? I am a real estate agent and downloaded the app thinking it'd be a great way to organize client files & such, especially being that we are required by law to hold certain documents for up to 3 years amount of time..

Evernote Terms of Service

• Level 5*

To echo BNF, this is not a legitimate concern. Here is the official wording: "Evernote’s Data Protection Laws Say My Data Is Mine – What Does That Mean? You retain copyright and any other rights you already held in your Content before you submitted, posted or displayed it on or through the Service. But you do have to grant Evernote a limited license, as described below, so we can make your data accessible and usable on the Service. Other than this limited license and other rights you grant in these Terms, Evernote acknowledges and agrees that we do not obtain any right, title or interest from you under these Terms in any of your Content."

http://evernote.com/legal/tos.php

As for calendar integration, see some of the third party apps. I do not use them, but CloudWork and Powerbot look promising.

https://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=21803+8299624608655807078&pli=1

http://www.powerbotapps.com

That review is ludicrous. Evernote does not take ownership of your notes. I don't even know why the reviewer thinks this. When you sync your notes, they do go through Evernote's cloud. Just like Dropbox syncs through its cloud & various other cloud apps sync through their cloud. That's what a cloud is. But that does not give these apps ownership of what you put in them.

Moved to general discussion, since it has nothing to do with the knowledge base.

Thanks for prompt response.  I actually didn't even realize I put it into the knowledge base - I assumed we had to choose a subforum when we went into general discussion so I just picked one.

At any rate, I appreciate the response and also appreciate the link posted by other users for some reassurance on the matter.

I'd strongly advise Evernote to try to get that review taken down though - 26/52 users find it as helpful, so who knows how many people get turned away from Evernote by that sole post?

I'd strongly advise Evernote to try to get that review taken down though - 26/52 users find it as helpful, so who knows how many people get turned away from Evernote by that sole post?

I don't think that's fair & I'm not even sure it would be allowed. People are people & some are brighter than others. ;-) Those who are on the smarter side, like yourself, will not take reviews that sound goofy at face value & will investigate & find out firsthand what the story is. The best offense is if others are able to post replies to the goofy review to refute it & include the links above.

Archived