(Archived) Why no text 'highlighter'?

markg2

I would like to use two clipped URL articles to support a POV. I assumed that I could use a yellow highlighter to emphasize the salient points and I was surprised that EN does not have the capability?

Mark

• Level 5*

I would like to use two clipped URL articles to support a POV. I assumed that I could use a yellow highlighter to emphasize the salient points and I was surprised that EN does not have the capability?

Mark

Hi. EN does have a highlighter in the iOS and Mac clients. Are you using Windows?

• Level 5*

Yes--I put the OS in the tag, next time I'll do so in the text. Strange the feature would be absent in Windows.

Not strange at all. The Evernote teams develop the products on different time schedules. For cross-platform users (like myself) it can be frustrating, but this is how it has been for several years. I suppose it is better than no updates at all :)

It wouldn't be worth doing it in this particular case, but it should be mentioned that it is possible to edit the raw markup directly using http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

- it is effectively the same as html, so if you are comfortable editing that, once you are set up, it can often be done quite quickly. I used it on a table where the grid lines were too intrusive, and changed their colour to a light grey. Once that was done, I can still add rows etc in the Windows client and the effect remains - so the Windows editor is pretty good in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes--I put the OS in the tag, next time I'll do so in the text. Strange the feature would be absent in Windows.

Not strange at all. The Evernote teams develop the products on different time schedules. For cross-platform users (like myself) it can be frustrating, but this is how it has been for several years. I suppose it is better than no updates at all :)

Understand the separate development teams for each platform, but I do think it is strange that what I would have thought is basic functionality - a simple highlight tool - is not consistent across platforms.  And as you say, people have been asking for it for years now.   

I love Evernote, use it every day across multiple platforms and while longtime users have got used to these inconsistencies, it doesn't make them any less strange.  

Archived