Content of note lost, completely blank

note lost

Idea

I just spent all day on a note and am freaking out because it is now gone and it is due tomorrow and I had so much information in there. I created the document at 10am, worked on it all day. In the morning I was at a place with no wifi and was working on the note. I got home and continued working for several hours, where I have wifi (but I didn't press anything or try and sync anything). I eventually switched to my email. Then when I went back to evernote I went to a separate note, typed two lines, and when I returned to my other note I'd been working on all day it was COMPLETELY BLANK. It said it had been created at 10 and last updated at 10. It had NO details on any other updates and not a single word, sentence, anything, just completely blank.

Is there a number I could call? Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not a Premium subscriber. I'm thinking about paying so I can do the "view history" thing, but I'm worried that won't help since how can a note that was supposedly created at 10am and updated at 10am that's blank have a "history"? HELP! Anyone! I'm bumming and would be so grateful for any assistance. 

16 replies to this idea

Fair enough, Stuhrer, you're probably right that Evernote wasn't designed for creating a lot of text - but it does lend itself to it and I fancy a lot of people are using it in this way. Because it allows you to collect all your resources in one place, and because it's easy and quick to switch between notes. I use Evernote Web because I work on two computers, one of which is a university machine that I can't load software onto (so no evernote desktop). I can sync folders between my laptop and university share drive using a VPN, when that works (not always seamless). I sync the desktop version on my laptop, but that doesn't help if I lose work in Evernote web before the laptop is synced.

Given that there have been a lot of people who have lost data in Evernote one way or another over the past few years, it seems that a couple of changes to the software would be helpful. Here's my suggestions:

1/ an Undo button that works

2/ the possibility to control syncing on Evernote Web (rather than having it save over the work you wanted to keep, while you watch helplessly)

3/ a change to the schedule of versions saved in the History: perhaps a version a week old, one a day old, and a rolling backup of versions an hour old and 10 minutes old.

4/ an easy way to make backups from Evernote Web! Without copying and pasting into another document (which is how I inadvertently wiped the note I lost); or saving a web page to disk; or emailing the web page. Just a button or a keystroke that would allow you to save successive versions to a local disk in some format. Or an auto save of versions, as well as or instead of the auto sync.

I bet a lot of people would welcome that.

I have the same issue since the last upgrade.

And the strange thing is that if you wait a bit, suddenly the content of your note appears again...

But the notes are not really lost because you can still see the content via the web connection.

So why do we have empty notes or the impression of having empty notes ?

A very new newbie here - you help will be appreciated.

Lost or missing  data after update

I installed Evernote on 12.8.14 and used it constantly until October 2014 to gain confidence that what was entered stayed put. I then entered   all my passwords and other security data and continued to use it on a  a regular basis.

on 29.11.14 Apple apps showed an update which I allowed > Apple app > Updates > Evernote v6.0 installed Nov.29. 2014 but, on reopening opening Evernote all my data was missing - completely blank throughout.

Now I am here to ask if there is anyway to restore that data, either from Evernet or from within my MacBookPro Retina Os10.9.4

I have tracked down  folders :

User > Library > Group Containers > Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote

Evernote > quick note > containing folders from Ausgust 2012 to November 2014

K**** > Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote   > LIBRARY > APPLICATION SUPPORT > CACHES >  PREFERENCES   ALL EMPTY

At present I can no longer access my passwords so am locked out of many sites, any help to restore the missing date will be appreciated.
 My apologies for this long screed- this being my first contact with the Evernote forum I am not sure how much information to send.

today I upgraded evernote to the latest 6.0.2 version, but some content got lost.  How to recover my previous notes ?

I experienced the same thing. Frightening. I lost some important content. I can pull it from Time Machine, but I don't dare opening it in Evernote again as it will destroy it again.

today I upgraded evernote to the latest 6.0.2 version, but some content got lost.  How to recover my previous notes ?

I lost every day content. I am very disappointed at the version.

11/13 Thursday
11/12 Wednesday
11/11 Tuesday
11/10 Monday
     day off
11/07/2014 Friday
11/06/2014 Thursday
11/05/2014 Wednesday
11/04/2014 Tuesday
  • Level 5

I just spent all day on a note ...

I would personally not use Evernote in such a way and I also think Evernote is not meant for this. When I create information on my iPad that is bigger than a few lines and when the process of information collection takes longer I use other apps like pages, drafts etc. especially when I am offline. These apps store the data on the iPad itself and only when I am ready I create an iPad note with the complete information. Only if I am sure it is on the Evernote server and after I have synced it to my Windows PC and possibly created a backup I delete the information from the other app(s) on the iPad.

Creating a backup version once in 8 hours is no use if you add any content to a note in that 8 hours. I was actually attempting to copy and paste to create a backup version, I accidentally hit the wrong key and pasted over a note I'd spent two hours working on. I tried to undo immediately - no response. Then Evernote automatically saved, and it seems my work is lost forever. Making multiple versions, or emailing yourself the notes, is clunky and time-consuming when you are working on several notes simultaneously. Why can't there be an easy locally archived versioning of notes changed? Also, why can't there be an Undo which works?

• Level 5*

Thank you GrumpyMonkey for your response. I will try and do that in the future. But I wasn't on my Mac I was on my iPad (so my instinct to copy/paste wasn't quite the same). Can I contact customer support even if I'm not a Premium member? If you aren't connected to wifi and you leave a note, will it do that again in the future??

Glad I could help. Customer support is there for everyone, even Free users, though Premium and Business users are guaranteed quicker response times. I would expect something tomorrow from them.

On the iPad, it is even more important (with any app) to do this kind of self-versioning. There are very few apps that have never crashed on me, so the chance of losing data is always there. I work on the iPad with an external keyboard, so the copy/paste thing is pretty easy to do. Without the keyboard, I probably would not do it much either!

I recently lost some data (I think it was a week or two ago), and it was quite painful. I was NOT following my own advice, and I got burned horribly. Honestly, it is pretty rare for me to lose data using Evernote, and I was surprised when it occurred. It shouldn't ever happen, of course, and hopefully the next update will fix whatever bug(s) is causing this. The developers take any case of data loss seriously, and the more data you can provide about what happened when you contact customer support, the better they will be able to come up with a solution.

Thank you GrumpyMonkey for your response. I will try and do that in the future. But I wasn't on my Mac I was on my iPad (so my instinct to copy/paste wasn't quite the same). Can I contact customer support even if I'm not a Premium member? If you aren't connected to wifi and you leave a note, will it do that again in the future?? 

• Level 5*

I have just opened Evernote, started typing and then closed ipad during lecture break. On opening I opened Evernote and could not see page I had before. How do I find it??? I didn't make a book or anything just started typing

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I'll merge your topic with a similar one. My advice would be the same.

• Level 5*

I just spent all day on a note and am freaking out because it is now gone and it is due tomorrow and I had so much information in there. I created the document at 10am, worked on it all day. In the morning I was at a place with no wifi and was working on the note. I got home and continued working for several hours, where I have wifi (but I didn't press anything or try and sync anything). I eventually switched to my email. Then when I went back to evernote I went to a separate note, typed two lines, and when I returned to my other note I'd been working on all day it was COMPLETELY BLANK. It said it had been created at 10 and last updated at 10. It had NO details on any other updates and not a single word, sentence, anything, just completely blank.

Is there a number I could call? Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not a Premium subscriber. I'm thinking about paying so I can do the "view history" thing, but I'm worried that won't help since how can a note that was supposedly created at 10am and updated at 10am that's blank have a "history"? HELP! Anyone! I'm bumming and would be so grateful for any assistance.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I am afraid it sounds pretty unlikely you'll get the note content based on what you described. The people to talk to are the customer support folks (see the link in my signature), though. If anyone can rescue the data, it's them!

In the future, I recommend regular Time Machine backups if you are on a Mac (mine backs up every hour) and make several notes in succession if it is something important. In other words, create your own "versions" by copy/pasting into new notes as you go along. When you are done (if you were working on it for 8 hours, you might have 8 versions) delete the old versions AFTER you have synced. Each note will serve as a manual version, and each of those manual versions will also have their own note histories. It's difficult to go wrong with this :)

I know. I know. It is too late for that advice to do you any good! However, as someone who has lost precious data on occasion, usually under time pressure, no less, I highly recommend this kind of workflow. And, to be honest, it is probably a good idea to do this for every app you use (not just Evernote), especially on iOS.

Archived