Default Searches Should Include Title Content

There are a few posts that discuss how to search title text (i.e. "intitle"). I'd like to suggest that all evernote searches would include the title text AS WELL as the main note content. I use titles a lot and not always the note body, so this seems like the most efficient searching method to cover all your bases.

If you want to search the title content ONLY, then you can still use "intitle". And perhaps there could be another operator to search the note body only as well.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

There are a few posts that discuss how to search title text (i.e. "intitle"). I'd like to suggest that all evernote searches would include the title text AS WELL as the main note content. I use titles a lot and not always the note body, so this seems like the most efficient searching method to cover all your bases.

If you want to search the title content ONLY, then you can still use "intitle". And perhaps there could be another operator to search the note body only as well.

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The default search does include the title content as well as the main note content. Could you tell us what client (Mac, Windows, etc.) you are using where you found that it doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about that, I don't know why I didn't think it was searching titles.

Do you know if there any requests to have Titles highlighted when they show in search results? I.e. any matching searches within the body of the note are highlighted in yellow, but not the titles themselves. It would be handy when a number of notes match your search listing to see which ones match the search right in the title.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Sorry about that, I don't know why I didn't think it was searching titles.

Do you know if there any requests to have Titles highlighted when they show in search results? I.e. any matching searches within the body of the note are highlighted in yellow, but not the titles themselves. It would be handy when a number of notes match your search listing to see which ones match the search right in the title.

Thanks

Hi. I haven't seen any requests like that, but it makes sense to me.

The titles used to be separate from the note content (they still float a little far away from the note in Windows), so I wonder if the thinking by developers was that the title=metadata and the note body=content. That might be why the title isn't highlighted in a search of the note content. 

Now, though (at least on the Mac), the title appears together with the note content below the search within a note, so it makes sense to me that it would be included in the search highlighting. 

• 1 year later...

I'm using Evernote 5.8 on Windows and it does not appear to search titles by default. I searched for the exact word in the title and got no results. I manually found the note, added the word to the body of the note, and now it comes up in search. What gives?

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. The default search does include the title content as well as the main note content. Could you tell us what client (Mac, Windows, etc.) you are using where you found that it doesn't.

In addition what GM has said, I'd like to add this for completeness.

When you enter text into the Search Box without any qualifiers (like "tag:", "intitle:", etc) Evernote searches the following fields that have words that START with the text you have entered:

• Title
  • Tags
  • Note content

Note that this is NOT a character search, but a word search.

This is different from a qualified search, like "intitle:", where an exact match is required.

So, if you enter "client" into the Search Box, it will find Notes Titles that have words start with "client", like "Clients to Review", and "Best Clients",  but it will NOT find Titles with "MyClient".

Whereas if you enter "intitle:client", then only those Notes where a word in the Title exactly matches "client" would be found, like "Client Followup", but "Clients to Review" would NOT be found.

You can tell Evernote to include words that START with your term by adding an *, like "intitle:client*".

The Search syntax is somewhat confusing, and the results can differ from EN platform/client to platform/client.  Often the EN Web client shows different results from the EN Mac or EN Win client.

For more information, see the EN KB article:  

Using Evernote's advanced search syntax

I am using Evernote 5.8 on Windows (desktop client). I see that Evernote is supposed to be searching note titles, but it isn't on mine. The title of the note I was searching for is "Unfacts" and I searched for "Unfacts." Got nothing. I added "Unfacts" to the content/body of the note and it came right up in search. So what's up? Am I missing an update or is the Windows desktop client broken? 

Thanks,

melissa

Mel, that sounds like a bug to me. You should report that directly to Evernote (if you're a premium user). That can be done in-app.

Another thing you could try is to update to the latest pre-release through your toolbar menu. That might solve your issue.

Archived