(Archived) Lost all notes after password reset

After I reset my password, as told necessary, I lost all of my notes. I have a bunch of tests and finals coming up and I'm desperate to get them back as soon as possible! I sent an email for support two days ago but have still not gotten an answer. After googleing the issue today I realized that this was a problem for many people. I have tried the step-by-step list posted as a reply to several of the posts concerning the same issue (about logging in with your username, not your email, to retrieve your notes), but it didn't help me. The same "welcome to evernote" note is now the only note on my account. I have been freaking out about this for almost three days now and I am getting seriously worried my notes will never be retrieved. I used evernote for the sole purpose of not losing my notes in case anything happened to my Mac, and I can not put into words how disappointed I am about these resent events. The evernote team has not even been bothered to answer my email, and I am hugely disappointed. Does anyone know any alternative ways to get the past two years of school work back? It syncs automatically so I'm assuming they are saved somewhere, but how do I retrieve them? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have three huge tests within the next two days and everything that I need to prepare for them were written in evernote. 

After I reset my password, as told necessary, I lost all of my notes. I have a bunch of tests and finals coming up and I'm desperate to get them back as soon as possible! I sent an email for support two days ago but have still not gotten an answer. After googleing the issue today I realized that this was a problem for many people. I have tried the step-by-step list posted as a reply to several of the posts concerning the same issue (about logging in with your username, not your email, to retrieve your notes), but it didn't help me. The same "welcome to evernote" note is now the only note on my account. I have been freaking out about this for almost three days now and I am getting seriously worried my notes will never be retrieved. I used evernote for the sole purpose of not losing my notes in case anything happened to my Mac, and I can not put into words how disappointed I am about these resent events. The evernote team has not even been bothered to answer my email, and I am hugely disappointed. Does anyone know any alternative ways to get the past two years of school work back? It syncs automatically so I'm assuming they are saved somewhere, but how do I retrieve them? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have three huge tests within the next two days and everything that I need to prepare for them were written in evernote. 

Were you sync'ing your notes to the EN cloud?

Premium users are supposed to receive a reply within one business day, California time.  This time frame may possibly be extended in light of current events, IDK.  Free users, as time permits. 

I just looked over the step-by-step list again and in a desperate attempt I tried using my old email address and somehow managed to remember my old password. All my notes were there and I'm so relieved I could cry. However, I'm still quite curious to what happened? How come I got an email on my new email account, telling me to reset my password? I havent used the old email for years and thought I updated my information - changing the email. How do I make my new email the only email? I have no idea about what happened here and I wish the evernote team would actually help with this problem, as it seems to affecting a lot of people. 

I would prefer not having to use my old email to log in and to have to go through the vast amounts of ***** that I did thinking I lost two years of schoolwork. According to this new found information I had one account on "HanneHetland" and one on "hanne-hetland", but as far as I can remember I never created a second account, and I've been using the same one for the past two years. The last one is the one connected to my new email, and is also the, now, empty one. Whilst the first one, connected to my old email, is the one that stores all my notes. I havent used that email in at least one and a half years as it got hacked, and I do not understand what has happened here. I would really appreciate an explanation for this and for how to limit myself to just one account. 

Thanks. 

I have the same problem.. Took a couple of notes today on the road.. I went home and logged into PC and went to windows evernote app and it asked me to change password.. Changed the password and then went back to my ipad and my new notes are gone!!!! Any ideas on what to do here?

really (this is my first post) never seen an system set-up where you can get your email and evernote login mixed up Both should be tied to each other, maybe they should just use email only or user name only to login Not both

the email they sent out was an bit little silly (also using MD5 hash function it just about the same as been stored in plain text {still is bit secure like 1% secure) as most off the passwords Evernote had are likely to been discovered now)

• Level 5*

Hi @ztalavia and @leexgx

Provided your existing notes were synced back to the server you should be able to find them by way of a web browser at Evernote.com

I'd suggest you go there and try logging in with both your user name and your email address and your original password.  You should be prompted to change your password.  You may find that you have more than one account,  and if you didn't want that to happen I'm sure that's something that Evernote will look at - but until this past few days it didn't seem like a problem.

Check your account(s) to make sure your email address is correct on the MyAccount page.  There's more information on the whole process here - 

If you have all your notes intact,  you need to look into creating a local backup of your database and a way to remind yourself to change your password again regularly,  and keep your email address up to date.

If your Evernote contact email address is correct,  you could use the 'forgotten password' process if that's an issue.

If after all that there are still problems with missing notes or forgotten passwords,  contact Evernote support directly using the link in my signature below.  It may take a little while to get a response - they're a little busy right now but working hard to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

I also lost all the notes after changing my password, as requested. Though that did not happen right away.

None of the various suggestions I read on this page worked for me and I did submit a request for help to support.

I got a canned answer that in very patronizing language told me to try a couple of steps.

I reported failure and got no answer. I have been waiting for 5 days.

I must say I was considering getting a Premium account, but I don't think I want to have anything to do with a company that messes up so badly.

I suspect that if I had not changed my password, I'd still have my notes, so thank you very much Evernote, for creating my problem and then failing to solve it.

• Level 5*

Don't follow the "messes up so badly" comment - all the 'lost notes' that have been raised so far seem to trace back to duplicate accounts or overdue syncs..  If you'd like some help with this and can tell us what's happened so far maybe we can get something back for you?

I also lost all the notes after changing my password, as requested. Though that did not happen right away.

None of the various suggestions I read on this page worked for me and I did submit a request for help to support.

I got a canned answer that in very patronizing language told me to try a couple of steps.

I reported failure and got no answer. I have been waiting for 5 days.

I must say I was considering getting a Premium account, but I don't think I want to have anything to do with a company that messes up so badly.

I suspect that if I had not changed my password, I'd still have my notes, so thank you very much Evernote, for creating my problem and then failing to solve it.

If your notes were sync'd to the EN servers, there is no reason you should have lost any notes.

IDK why you think the replies were patronizing. All the ones I've seen are very friendly to the user. To quote Jefito from another thread:

Support folks don't have it easy. There are a myriad ways something could go wrong with an installation, so one thing that they try to do is make sure the basics are covered, and one way to do that is to try to get to a good starting point (via clean reinstall, etc.). Remember, it's tedious for them, too, but if these measures didn't work a significant portion of the time, they wouldn't continue to suggest them.

Archived