(Archived) Import Folders

New to Evernote. But I'm already interested in the Tools>Import Folders option.

However, I can't seem to find an answer to my question which probably means the answer is obvious.

However, does the folder size count towards the monthly usage? The folder I'm looking at is nearly 8Gb!! If, as I fear it counts towards usage then that idea is effectively out of the window.

• Level 5*

However, I can't seem to find an answer to my question which probably means the answer is obvious.

However, does the folder size count towards the monthly usage? The folder I'm looking at is nearly 8Gb!! If, as I fear it counts towards usage then that idea is effectively out of the window.

Hi - welcome to the forums.  What goes into your Import Folder goes into Evernote,  so to that extent it counts against your usage.  If you didn't set the folder options to delete a file once uploaded,  the copied file stays in the folder and is just hanging around to mislead you.  The overall size of the folder isn't relevant - just wasted space unless you really need that file copy for something else.

Hi - welcome to the forums.  What goes into your Import Folder goes into Evernote,  so to that extent it counts against your usage.  If you didn't set the folder options to delete a file once uploaded,  the copied file stays in the folder and is just hanging around to mislead you.  The overall size of the folder isn't relevant - just wasted space unless you really need that file copy for something else.

Right. I think I'm getting it. In essence then I am correct in saying that this 8Gb folder is not really an option even with the Premium Account?

• Level 5*

If you want to move a folder of files into Evernote you have two options as a premium user -

1. create another folder as the 'import folder' and move up to 1GB per month into that folder (depending on what other traffic you're moving into Evernote).  After 8 months (ish) you've moved everything.
  2. proceed as above but buy additional space - you can add extra GB if required.  Still not possible within 1 month - there's an upper limit - but within a couple of months you should have transferred everything.

After that period you could revert back to a free account.

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't know anything about your folder size. What it knows about is how much you are transferring into Evernote and uploading to the Evernote servers. And the monthly usage is based on the amount that you upload, which is a max of 1GB/month.

One possible solution: create a local notebook, which is not uploaded to the Evernote servers, and set up your import to go into that notebook. If you need to share that data across devices, then gradually move the contents into a non-local notebook.

What goes into your Import Folder goes into Evernote,  so to that extent it counts against your usage.

Unless you're importing into a local/non-sync'd notebook. As Jeff said, you can import all 8 GB into a local/non-sync'ed notebook & move the notes into a sync'd notebook as your upload limit allows over time. As GAZ pointed out, premium members can buy additional storage up to a total of five (or six?) gigs. (I don't remember if it's five total or five additional.) Either way, if you did this & didn't add much in the way of other notes, it would take a couple of months to get all eight gigs uploaded. Or if you're patient & frugal, you could do this over years using a free account.  :)

Thanks for all the quick replies, which have been extremely helpful. Using the local option as suggested will certainly make a huge difference to the way we organise things over the next few months. Just didn't realise that these types of facilities were available in Evernote and it will make it a far more productive tool for myself and my brother.

• 4 months later...

Archived