FEATURE REQUEST: Collapse/Expand All for Stacks

DVM

Idea

14 replies to this idea

Much like in every other Windows application, you can select the top stack and press the asterisk key on your numberpad. (The * key)

This will not work by pressing shift-8.

That's great for expanding everything but not collapsing just the stacks.

Much like in every other Windows application, you can select the top stack and press the asterisk key on your numberpad. (The * key)

Hit the minus key on the keypad to collapse them. :)

Hit the minus key on the keypad to collapse them. :)

That's not what I'm after. Hitting the minus key on the keyboard collapses everything only where selected. You might as well just click every stack that you want collapsed.

What I want to be able to do is collapse all the stacks so that all that remains are the stack headers and all notes not part of a stack.

Just want to put my voice in for this feature request.  This should be a given and not a request.  Love Evernote...live by it daily.  With that said, having to even make a feature request like this is what really sours me about this program.  Anyone using the program, including all those Evernote employees, should see and immediate need for this (both tags and notebooks).  Anyway, hope to see this soon!

• Level 5*

Just want to put my voice in for this feature request.  This should be a given and not a request.  Love Evernote...live by it daily.  With that said, having to even make a feature request like this is what really sours me about this program.  Anyone using the program, including all those Evernote employees, should see and immediate need for this (both tags and notebooks).  Anyway, hope to see this soon!

It's a fair request, for sure, but as I've never used collapse/expand all in any program in all of my long years of Windows use and programming, it's not really clear how it it an "immediate need" for me (a member of the set of "anyone using Evernote"). That being said, software development is a human endeavor, and therefore mistakes and oversights can occur (and there are rarely any true "givens"). Feature requests are how you try to get issues remedied...

+1 for this.

I'm a new evernote user, but this is the one thing that I really miss from this otherwise great program. 

The problem is this: I'm working as a teacher. I found out that each of my student groups need a stack, and each student needs an individual notebook. That being said, I've got 8 stacks, each which contains ~20 notebooks. So when I'm opening evernote web (the only thing that works on the locked computers at work), I am greeted with the picture below (screenshot from when all the notebooks just was created). 

After 1 day of hard work, my !INBOX is filled with a lot of notes. And then the scrolling begins....

6ozti0.png

Fingret,

I see you're using V4 of Evernote so I'm not sure the following will work for you but...

In V5, hold the "Shift" key while clicking the triangle next to the "Notebooks" header and everything in that section will collapse. If you open up "Notebooks" again (by clicking the triangle) you'll see that all of the stacks will remain collapsed until you click on the individual stack's triangle. If you don't hold the "Shift" key while clicking the triangle next to the "Notebooks" header, everything will collapse but if you open up "Notebooks" again (by clicking the triangle) every stack that was expanded before, and only those stacks, will still be expanded.

Fingret,

I see you're using V4 of Evernote so I'm not sure the following will work for you but...

In V5, hold the "Shift" key while clicking the triangle next to the "Notebooks" header and everything in that section will collapse. If you open up "Notebooks" again (by clicking the triangle) you'll see that all of the stacks will remain collapsed until you click on the individual stack's triangle. If you don't hold the "Shift" key while clicking the triangle next to the "Notebooks" header, everything will collapse but if you open up "Notebooks" again (by clicking the triangle) every stack that was expanded before, and only those stacks, will still be expanded.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it did not work on my "v4" (which is what I get when I'm entering evernote web from a webbrowser). How do I get this "v5" then?

Best regards

On 9/10/2013 at 9:16 PM, DVM said:

Fingret,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Hold "Shift" key while clicking the triangle next to the "Notebooks" header.

Výstřižek.PNG

Archived