Client freezes in 5.0.5

martinw

Idea

Hi,

Upgraded through the App Store to 5.0.5 today. First time I started the client it showed me a dialog with three buttons to make me choose where it should get shortcuts to sync. The rightmost button was preselected, but none of the buttons reacted to clicking. Enter key did nothing either. The whole thing was frozen. I force quit the app, and then restarted it. Now I get Evernote in full screen (I think I had it that way the last time it worked). It's totally unresponsive. Esc won't get me out of fullscreen. The OSX menubar does not appear when I mouse to the top. Trying to switch windows with cmd-` does nothing. I can, however, switch away from Evernote with cmd-tab, and with the fourfinger gesture for Expose. I've tried force quitting several times, but each time it comes up, it's frozen exactly the same way.

Thankful for any tips.

Martin

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi,

Upgraded through the App Store to 5.0.5 today. First time I started the client it showed me a dialog with three buttons to make me choose where it should get shortcuts to sync. The rightmost button was preselected, but none of the buttons reacted to clicking. Enter key did nothing either. The whole thing was frozen. I force quit the app, and then restarted it. Now I get Evernote in full screen (I think I had it that way the last time it worked). It's totally unresponsive. Esc won't get me out of fullscreen. The OSX menubar does not appear when I mouse to the top. Trying to switch windows with cmd-` does nothing. I can, however, switch away from Evernote with cmd-tab, and with the fourfinger gesture for Expose. I've tried force quitting several times, but each time it comes up, it's frozen exactly the same way.

Thankful for any tips.

Martin

HI. This is a mess, to be sure! My advice is to file a support ticket (see link in my signature) to alert Evernote to the problem, uninstall the app, and re-install the version supplied by Evernote (different than the appstore one). If you follow the instructions I have posted here (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494), you should be able to do this without any problem and be back up and running in no time.

Thanks Grumpy, seems to work just fine. The new app is still processing. Even though I couldn't export the notes before scrapping the App Store app, the home brew version picked up those files automatically. Nice.

So now I'll just have to see if that processing status down in the left corner ever advances. Meanwhile I can access the notes, so it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks again!

• Level 5*

Thanks Grumpy, seems to work just fine. The new app is still processing. Even though I couldn't export the notes before scrapping the App Store app, the home brew version picked up those files automatically. Nice.

So now I'll just have to see if that processing status down in the left corner ever advances. Meanwhile I can access the notes, so it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help. As long as you have completely wiped out the appstore version, and were synced before that, you ought to be fine. The export and backups are only "just in case" measures. I've got an hourly Time Machine backup going myself, "just in case." I probably won't need it, but I sleep better at night :)

I have full backups through Crashplan, verified that beforehand. Copied the "container" files to the desktop, too, just to be sure. (I couldn't export since the app was frozen.)

I've reported the issue as well, so they'll know.

• Level 5*

I have full backups through Crashplan, verified that beforehand. Copied the "container" files to the desktop, too, just to be sure. (I couldn't export since the app was frozen.)

I've reported the issue as well, so they'll know.

Good job with the backups, and thanks for reporting the problem!

Great. That has indeed fixed it. Thanks GM.

When I loaded the native EN app it gave a message saying that an AppStore instance of EN was found - I'd tried to fully delete that - closed everything down, used AppZapper on it, etc. but there was still some trace? Any ideas what I missed?

Anyway - it is all working again now, which is a huge relief!

Thanks again.

Steve

• Level 5*

Great. That has indeed fixed it. Thanks GM.

When I loaded the native EN app it gave a message saying that an AppStore instance of EN was found - I'd tried to fully delete that - closed everything down, used AppZapper on it, etc. but there was still some trace? Any ideas what I missed?

Anyway - it is all working again now, which is a huge relief!

Thanks again.

Steve

Glad that I could help. I wonder what could still be lingering around from the appstore version. I don't want to install it and find out! My guess would be that if you went to the Evernote folder in your library, you might find something there, but I don't know. Hopefully, the developers (or someone in the know) can jump in and tell us how to scrub away every trace of it.

When I installed and started the homebrew version, it told me it detected the database from the App Store version, then proceeded to import that. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Steve saw. Neat feature.

The only way to avoid that would be to delete the container files, but I don't think that would be necessary, or even a good idea, unless it's the database that is the cause of the problem.

Same thing here :( I got the dialogue box to appear again (by hiding Evernote and then showing it again) on a non-full screen page, but again like martinw none of the buttons cold be clicked.

• Level 5*

Oh. I'd definitely delete all of the container files and the database to start with a clean slate. You've already backed it up (if you followed my directions, though even this backup is unnecessary), and an initial sync will pull down your notes from the server.As long as everything works out fine in the end, it's no big deal, but this is what I would do.

The Evernote client is attempting to open an unnecessary dialog box at the wrong point in the application startup - that is why the app hangs when re-started in full screen mode. The dialog message is "Confirm your email to be sure you receive important account information ...".

This morning I was able to revive the app (sort of) without installation by:

• switching to the desktop space
  • right clicking on Evernote in the dock
  • selecting "Hide" then "Show"

The dialog box then gets popped to the top (where it belongs). Unfortunately the dialog box was not properly attached to the window event chain.

I killed the app using "Force Quit" and then immediately restarted it. This time the dialog box (won the race with the window system and was both properly attached to the event chain and) appeared on top of the full-screen window where I could dismiss it.

Not only should the Evernote client not be trying to start a dialog box before the first window has displayed (no other app does that) but why is it even necessary for me to revalidate my email address over and over again??

Alan

Archived