(Archived) Console Message

c1967

Idea

I just noticed in the Console.app that I have a lot of entries like this coming from Evernote in my system.log file:

CoreData: error: (External Records Support): symlink from path /Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/xxxxxxx/Evernote.sql to path /Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A8D5B1C7-873A-4A91-A99D-6498C96AC7AC/.support/store-file : Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=516 "The file “store-file” couldn’t be saved in the folder “.support” because a file with the same name already exists." UserInfo=0x144f3ae0 {NSFilePath=/Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/A8D5B1C7-873A-4A91-A99D-6498C96AC7AC/.support/store-file, NSUnderlyingError=0xf578020 "The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists"

I am running Evernote Version 5.0.0 (400524) on a iMac with OSX 10.8.2.

7 replies to this idea

me too on the Evernote "CoreData: error …" messages as above, using client 5.0.4 on OS X 10.7.5

the messages generally occur with just about any basic interaction with the client, such as create or deleting or changing a note, and often again a short while after the interaction

scrutinizing the message, i indeed find a symlink named "store-file" within this directory:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/54B73B1A-45C6-4E54-A819-75F6C4D6FC79/.support

however store-file symlinks to a location in my user domain Library folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

but this looks like a simple mistake; there is no directory ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote in the first place; instead the apparent intent is to symlink to this file, which is in the machine domain Library folder:

/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

that doesn't explain the entire problem, but perhaps it will help the Evernote team find the answer

(by the way, this led me to realize that all my Evernote notes are readable by any account on my machine; i wish the data were stored in ~/Library rather than /Library!)

me too on the Evernote "CoreData: error …" messages as above, using client 5.0.4 on OS X 10.7.5

the messages generally occur with just about any basic interaction with the client, such as create or deleting or changing a note, and often again a short while after the interaction

scrutinizing the message, i indeed find a symlink named "store-file" within this directory:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/54B73B1A-45C6-4E54-A819-75F6C4D6FC79/.support

however store-file symlinks to a location in my user domain Library folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

but this looks like a simple mistake; there is no directory ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote in the first place; instead the apparent intent is to symlink to this file, which is in the machine domain Library folder:

/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

that doesn't explain the entire problem, but perhaps it will help the Evernote team find the answer

(by the way, this led me to realize that all my Evernote notes are readable by any account on my machine; i wish the data were stored in ~/Library rather than /Library!)

This is very odd. I am using Evernonte 5.0.5 beta with OS X 10.8.2 and do not see the coredata errors. In fact I haven't seen them since 5.0.0. There is really very little console activity now when I use evernote.

What's strange is that unlike you, my evernote.sql file is in ~/Library. In fact, there is nothing that I can find related to evernote in /Library.

Did you install evernote from the Mac App Store, or direct? I had installed 5.0.0 originally from the App store but then decided to go back to the direct install starting with 5.0.1 when evernote was starting to make quick changes and the App Store wasn't keeping up. I completely uninstalled evernote (including manually deleting all the Library files I could find) then did a clean install and re-downloaded all my notes.

It really sounds like something may have gone haywire with the installation. I agree with you that all data files should be in ~/Library!

Did you install evernote from the Mac App Store, or direct?

i installed from the App Store on 2 Feb 2012

i found some reports of similar console messages with other apps, and it looks like the construct of a "store-file" symlink is something that facilitates Spotlight indexing, and its location within a Containers folder is due to sandboxing; i do not get any Evernote items in my Spotlight results, and i see this is true for some others based on other threads in this forum

also, a correction: i misread a long path wrapping in my shell; it turns out Evernote.sql, the target of the symlink, is stored within this deeply nested folder, which is a construct of the App Store's sandboxing:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

so i took a stab at a fix, by quitting Evernote and resetting my store-file symlink to point to the above file, and the error messages went away; however i'm still not getting Evernote results in Spotlight

checked mdimport -L, it lists EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

attempt to reindex via mdimport -r and i get a flood of mdworker messages:

2013-01-23 3:29:13.359 PM mdworker: ENSpotlightImporter:importFileAtPath:attributes:error: to find object id from path /Users/xxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/54B73B1A-45C6-4E54-A819-75F6C4D6FC79/ENAttributedEntity/_records/0/p8.ennote
2013-01-23 3:29:13.360 PM mdworker: ENSpotlightImporter:persistentStoreCoordinator unable to add persistent store coordinator - Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file couldn’t be opened because it doesn’t exist." UserInfo=0x7fe1a4826a70 {NSUnderlyingException=Error validating url for store}

and still no Spotlight results; so it looks like installing the non-app-store version (assuming i can find it) is the next step for me, but that will have to wait because my internet service is too slow to resync at the moment

• Level 5*

Did you install evernote from the Mac App Store, or direct?

i installed from the App Store on 2 Feb 2012

i found some reports of similar console messages with other apps, and it looks like the construct of a "store-file" symlink is something that facilitates Spotlight indexing, and its location within a Containers folder is due to sandboxing; i do not get any Evernote items in my Spotlight results, and i see this is true for some others based on other threads in this forum

also, a correction: i misread a long path wrapping in my shell; it turns out Evernote.sql, the target of the symlink, is stored within this deeply nested folder, which is a construct of the App Store's sandboxing:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/sporobolus/Evernote.sql

so i took a stab at a fix, by quitting Evernote and resetting my store-file symlink to point to the above file, and the error messages went away; however i'm still not getting Evernote results in Spotlight

checked mdimport -L, it lists EvernoteSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

attempt to reindex via mdimport -r and i get a flood of mdworker messages:

2013-01-23 3:29:13.359 PM mdworker: ENSpotlightImporter:importFileAtPath:attributes:error: to find object id from path /Users/xxxx/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Caches/Metadata/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/54B73B1A-45C6-4E54-A819-75F6C4D6FC79/ENAttributedEntity/_records/0/p8.ennote
2013-01-23 3:29:13.360 PM mdworker: ENSpotlightImporter:persistentStoreCoordinator unable to add persistent store coordinator - Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file couldn’t be opened because it doesn’t exist." UserInfo=0x7fe1a4826a70 {NSUnderlyingException=Error validating url for store}

and still no Spotlight results; so it looks like installing the non-app-store version (assuming i can find it) is the next step for me, but that will have to wait because my internet service is too slow to resync at the moment

Hi. The non-appstore version link can be found here in my instructions for uninstalling / re-installing it. Good luck!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

Archived