(Archived) Complete It

I'm sure this is obvious but I can't seem to find it as I'm new to Evernote (windows and android).

Q: How do I mark a note as Complete (or Done, or something else to indicate it shouldn't be shown in the active display or searches) without deleting it? It's information I may need to come back to but want it well out of the way but still in the current notebook.

Q: Similarly, how do I mark a Notebook as Complete, so it too is hidden. Again, without losing the content by Deleting.

Cheers!

• Level 5

Mark a note as complete?

I agree you should not delete it.

You can tag the note with a tag named Complete or Done

or

You could add the To-Do checkbox and check it to indicate it is complete

or

You could move it to another Notebook named Archive

Mark a Notebook as complete?

Not a good idea. First, it can't be done.Second, you should be cautious about creating too many notebooks. Many new users create too many notebooks and eventually realize the power of limited numbers of notebooks.

• Level 5*

One way to hide it is to stick it into a stack, for example, one named "Complete" or "Archive" or something. For the record, the current limit of notebooks is a maximum of 250. That may change in the future, but there's no indication if or when.

• Level 5*

Two good answers guys, but you missed out the 'hidden' bit of the query. Evernote doesn't have an easy way to do that. Best work around would seem to be to move notes to a 'completed' notebook and then search. If there are too many hits, repeat the search excluding the completed notebook. You might ant to save these searches to avoid too much repitition. After a reasonable time the notebook itself could be exported to a backup and the notes deleted from the live database.

There's an extra wrinkle with Android in that the main notebook may be downloadable for offline searching - depending on the space you have on your device. If you don't offline the completed notebook, it automatically won't be part of any offline searches.

• Level 5*
Two good answers guys, but you missed out the 'hidden' bit of the query. Evernote doesn't have an easy way to do that. Best work around would seem to be to move notes to a 'completed' notebook and then search. If there are too many hits, repeat the search excluding the completed notebook. You might ant to save these searches to avoid too much repitition. After a reasonable time the notebook itself could be exported to a backup and the notes deleted from the live database.

Didn't miss the 'hidden' bit; there just is no easy way to do it in Evernote, as you say. My suggestion was for the 'hidden notebook' part of the question; again, you are correct -- there's no easy way to do this. Note that there is no way to exclude a notebook from search (no -notebook: or -stack: search term, in other words, at least not in the Windows client); you can only search in the scope of one notebook, one stack, or the whole note database. About the best way to go about this sort of approach this is probably to have main containers (notebooks, or stacks, if you want more than two notebooks overall), one for 'completed' notes (or notebooks), and the other for current notes. With two main containers, you can then easily exclude one branch of your note database by searching for the other part, by using notebook: or stack: search terms.

Archived