(Archived) Sort tags in a notebook by more than just alphabet

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to Evernote, but I would like to think I am getting the hang of it pretty well. I tag everything in my evernote to the person that is associated with the note and I also add a priority note(Medium, High, etc.). When I finish a task, instead of deleting it, I change the priority tag from whatever it is to be "done" so that the task keeps the persons name as a tag but is also tagged as being "Done".

The issue is that when I go to my tags for that person or for a whole notebook for that matter and I sort by my tags the "Done" tag will still be mixed in with all of the other tags. What I would love to be able to do would be to sort by more than just Alphabet. For example, if I have "High", "Medium", "Low" and "Done" as priority tags I would like to order the tasks by priority instead. So then when I look at a person or a notebook my high to low priorities are automatically displayed.

This may already be an option and I am just missing something, or if someone accomplishes this in another way I would be very interested in what your set up is.

Thank you for the help!

Best,

Robilton

• Level 5*

The only content that tags have is their names themselves, so that's the only way that they can be sorted. People use simple tricks to force certain tags to the front of alphabetic lists, like using punctuation characters, e.g. "*High", "*Medium", "*Low", "*Done" etc,

• Level 5

I am assuming you do not want the "High", "Medium", "Low" and "Done" tags mixing in with your other tags.

The work around I use is to assign a 3 character prefix which will force the tags to group together.

Example of the Parent and Child tags:

Priority

Pri-High

Pri-Medium

Pri-Low

Pri-Done

You can use this concept with other tags.

• Level 5*

JB, I took it as meaning that the OP wants the "priority" tags to float to the front of a note's tag list, so that you can sort notes using those tags, though I'm not %100 on that assumption.

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to Evernote, but I would like to think I am getting the hang of it pretty well. I tag everything in my evernote to the person that is associated with the note and I also add a priority note(Medium, High, etc.). When I finish a task, instead of deleting it, I change the priority tag from whatever it is to be "done" so that the task keeps the persons name as a tag but is also tagged as being "Done".

The issue is that when I go to my tags for that person or for a whole notebook for that matter and I sort by my tags the "Done" tag will still be mixed in with all of the other tags. What I would love to be able to do would be to sort by more than just Alphabet. For example, if I have "High", "Medium", "Low" and "Done" as priority tags I would like to order the tasks by priority instead. So then when I look at a person or a notebook my high to low priorities are automatically displayed.

This may already be an option and I am just missing something, or if someone accomplishes this in another way I would be very interested in what your set up is.

Thank you for the help!

Best,

Robilton

EN is not (nor do they strive to be) a task manager. AFAIK, you cannot do what you're trying to do. You can isolate tasks for "High", "Medium", "Low" & "Done" or all four. And you can name them so the tags fall in order alphabetically (IE Priority-A High, Priority-B Medium, Priority-C Low, Priority-D done). But (AFIAK), you can't create a list of the items in a high/medium/low & done order. You possibly could if that were the only tag applied or if any other tags followed the priority tags alphabetically. I know that's confusing. But what I mean is the resultant notes can be sorted by tags. But when you do this, the tags are in alpha order. So if you have a note that has two tags "Priority-A High" and "Bonnie Dumbo", then, when you sort by tags, that note will appear under "B" for "Bonnie Dumbo". At least that's the way it is in the Windows client.

Thank you jbenson2 and jefito for your replies. Both of those I think could be viable options for me.

I think that for my needs jbenson2 is more in line with what I am going for. The goal would be to not have "done" tags mixed with the other tags at all. Even being able to force anything with a done tag to the bottom of the list would suffice but I don't think that that is possible....

Archived