(Archived) Problem Moving Evernote Database

catbert

I am having a problem trying to move my Evernote database to a new location. (The new location is within a TrueCrypt-encrypted file container.) I have successfully done this before on my desktop PC running Windows XP (so I do know how to do it), but it fails on my new laptop running Windows 7.

Theoretically, it should be easy: just go to Tools -> Options -> General, and click on the "Change..." button under "Evernote local files". As I said, I've done it before, and I see on the forums that others have done it too without problems.

My log file contains the following error message:

09:23:20 [296] Changing Evernote files location to: V:

09:23:21 [296] Closed database: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\<XXX>.exb (362MB +0B)

Log closed on 2012/09/06 09:23:21

Log opened on 2012/09/06 09:23:21

09:23:21 [296] Could not copy Evernote files, SHFileOperation() call returned 183

Doing a Google search for "could not copy Evernote files" I found a single user who had the same problem, see the forum post here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23725-request-additional-encryption-options-for-notebooks-and-syncing/page__st__260#entry78867 However, there was no resolution of the problem in that forum thread.

I have confirmed that I can manually copy all the files from the old location to the new location, so it doesn't appear to be a permissions issue or a disk-space issue.

I have submitted a support request, but since I am a free user at present I don't expect a quick turnaround, and thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks, catbert :)

I have confirmed that I can manually copy all the files from the old location to the new location, so it doesn't appear to be a permissions issue or a disk-space issue.

Did you delete the files you manually copied, in order to confirm you didn't create a space problem by having another copy?

Dumb question but...you do have the TC volume mounted, right?

Are you sure you fully exited EN by confirming there are no elephants in the system tray?

• Level 5

SHFileOperation() call returned 183, which is B7 in hex... according to MSDN article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762164(v=vs.85).aspx, this error code means:

DE_ERROR_MAX 0xB7 MAX_PATH was exceeded during the operation.

MAX_PATH value is 260. Could it be that the way you mounted your TrueCrypt drive caused paths to be longer than 260 characters?

/Peter

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

Did you delete the files you manually copied, in order to confirm you didn't create a space problem by having another copy?

Dumb question but...you do have the TC volume mounted, right?

Are you sure you fully exited EN by confirming there are no elephants in the system tray?

Hi BnF,

1. Yes, the problem appeared before I tried manually copying the files, so the destination was empty at that point. I then tried manually copying the files, which worked OK. I then deleted the copied versions and tried again, same problem.

2. Yes, the TC volume was mounted correctly, I believe.

3. Not sure what you mean here ... Evernote must be running in order to choose the option to change the file location. But after doing that, I closed and restarted Evernote a few times to make sure that I hadn't screwed anything up.

SHFileOperation() call returned 183, which is B7 in hex... according to MSDN article http://msdn.microsof...4(v=vs.85).aspx, this error code means:

DE_ERROR_MAX 0xB7 MAX_PATH was exceeded during the operation.

MAX_PATH value is 260. Could it be that the way you mounted your TrueCrypt drive caused paths to be longer than 260 characters?

Hi Peter,

Interesting. But my target destination is simply "V:", so no danger of the path being too long!

Finally, I tried again today and the same problem persists, although this time the log file says that the SHFileOperation() call returned 5, rather than 183. Interestingly, the other user who reported this problem (see the link in my original post) also reported an error code of 5.

Thanks people for your help, I appreciate it ... I'll let you know of any further progress.

Regards, catbert :)

UPDATE: I have confirmed that I can successfully move the Evernote files to a new location on the C: drive. So probably not a problem with the Evernote files themselves. They just don't want to move to the TrueCrypt volume, for some reason.

3. Not sure what you mean here ... Evernote must be running in order to choose the option to change the file location.

Duhhh.... Yes, you're right. Sorry about that.

At this time, I can't think of anything else to check... This is pretty weird.

Regarding error code 5, I found this post...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4568015/using-shfileoperation-what-errors-are-occuring

...that refers to this post for the error codes...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681382%28v=vs.85%29.aspx!

Which indicates error code 5 is access denied. I don't recall ever having to change permissions on a TC container, but you may want to check the permissions of it, just in case... Although since you were able to copy the files manually, maybe there's something wrt Evernote not having permission...??? IDK...

Error 183 on that page is file already exists... ???

• Level 5

@BNF: "Error 183 on that page is file already exists... ??? " -- SHFileOperation() has a set of DE_ error codes that override normal system error codes, see here: http://msdn.microsof...4(v=vs.85).aspx

@catbert: Evernote uses SHFileOperation() for copying its data folder from one location to another, which is pretty straightforward operation that works seamlessly on all drive types. Since you're not the only one having this issue, I'd recommend contacting TrueCrypt support and see what they have to say.

In the mean time, you may copy Evernote files to your TrueCrypt drive manually and set registry value HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EvernotePath to point to the new location.

/Peter

Hi again, and thanks for the ongoing help.

BnF, yes, I've already tried making another TC container, but the result was the same.

Peter, I'll take a look at changing the registry value, thanks for that suggestion. I'm slightly nervous about it since I've never edited the registry before and don't want to mess it up! I'll take it slowly and carefully. Unfortunately, I'm going to be away from my computer for a day or so, so it may be a couple of days before I get back to this, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, catbert :-)

• Level 5

catbert,

To make things easier you may first move your Evernote files using Tools/Options/General to a temporary location on normal drive, for example C:\Evernote, then shut down Evernote using File/Exit, move Evernote files from C:\Evernote to your TrueCrypt drive and change registry entry HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EvernotePath from C:\Evernote to point to that TrueCrypt location where you moved files.

/Peter

Hi, I'm back ... and I've managed to get it to work!

I found that by creating a folder on the TrueCrypt-ed drive and moving the Evernote database into that folder, the transfer worked! In other words, instead of moving to V:, I moved to V:\Evernote.

I still don't know why it didn't work before, so the mystery is not really "solved", but at least my immediate problem is overcome (and I didn't have to edit the registry).

Thanks Peter and BnF for your assistance,

Cheers, catbert.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am using the current download version of evernote (2/21-2013) and am trying to move the database to a different drive letter and am un-able to...

I have tried ISCSI LUN mappings, and just standard windows folder shares.... but nothing worked...

Ideally, I would like all the workstations in my office to use the same evernote database on my high speed storage array... how can I do this ?

I am using the current download version of evernote (2/21-2013) and am trying to move the database to a different drive letter and am un-able to...

I have tried ISCSI LUN mappings, and just standard windows folder shares.... but nothing worked...

Ideally, I would like all the workstations in my office to use the same evernote database on my high speed storage array... how can I do this ?

EN is not supported on networked drives. 

Archived