Sort Order for iPad - Reverse Date?

I see requests for this from 2 years ago, but not sure they've been accommodated - if they have, I can't see how to do it. I routinely title scanned paperwork starting with the date in sortable format eg 120816, so the note title allows sorting by the relevant date, not the one I scanned it on. But the iPad sort order will put the latest notes at the bottom of the list and there is no way to reverse it. Given the extent to which this naming approach is promoted across the forum by many, this seems almost a bug! Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

I see requests for this from 2 years ago, but not sure they've been accommodated - if they have, I can't see how to do it. I routinely title scanned paperwork starting with the date in sortable format eg 120816, so the note title allows sorting by the relevant date, not the one I scanned it on. But the iPad sort order will put the latest notes at the bottom of the list and there is no way to reverse it. Given the extent to which this naming approach is promoted across the forum by many, this seems almost a bug! Am I missing something?

Hi. I am in the same boat. I use a YYMMDD format for all of my note titles, and on the iPad everything is sorted so that I have to scroll through everything to get to today. With 9000+ notes, this is no small task :)

Indeed, it has been requested along with all sorts of features that would make the iPad more productive. Of course, the developers have their own roadmap to follow, and may decide not to do

it after all, but you'll be pleased to know they are listening.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

No reverse date sort order yet?

I just spent 25 minutes looking for the solution.  One good result of the effort was to discover the 3rd party application: Clever.

It's no phone scrolling to the bottom of 75 item list to see the most recent entry.

---

• 6 months later...

I just chatted with Evernote support who said there is no way to do this.

I have over 800 notes in a particular topic so this is not great news, I really don't want to scroll down 800 notes.

The workaround I found that worked for me is to search for the items so that i get a smaller listing to begin with.

The caveat being you title your notes with some logic and detail. If not, consider starting.

So in addition to say "YYYYMMDD" you add detail for example "Discovery Session Palo Alto 2013, 1211".

But thats the great thing about the iPad. Go into your keyboard shortcuts and add for example DSpa for "Discovery Session Palo Alto 2013, " and so on.

Then when I search for notes: "disc ses palo 2013, 12"

Now I'm getting a smaller listing that is much more manageable to flip and scroll through.

So what if I didn't title my notes that way?

Good question. You've got some work to do, but if you want to be organized plus find your stuff efficiently, its worth the trouble.

I did this on the Mac! I have no idea how the PC or Web client will work.

I figured out that you can export multiple notes from Evernote as HTML. So search for the notes you want, select All, then Choose "File>Export Notes..."

Evernote then drops them in a folder you've named.

NEXT you can use Apple's Automator to batch-Rename your files. If you've never used automator before, I found a guide for that here.

AND THEN you create a folder to batch-import all your files. I found an excellent site for this found here: http://veritrope.com/tech/evernote-desktop-folder/

As a safety and doublecheck precaution, I would import them into a separate notebook called "Staging imported" or something, just so you can examine them before you move them where the finally need to be.

Now you've got your notes titled in a way you can view them in a short list so makes it less painful that there is not yet a reverse alphabetical order.

The glimmer of hope is that the "title, reverse order" is already in the Mac OSX version, so hopefully its not too far away from being ported into iOS.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tips. The app used to have six sorts. It now has three. Reverse was never an option, though it has been requested by me for a couple of years :) Windows remains the gold standard with sixteen (I think) sorts.

One workaround is to reverse sort on the Mac, select all, and create a table of contents. Then, you'll have a list of note links in the proper order. Of course, this works for size, tag, and other sort types as well.

Archived