(Archived) Day diary

Hi

Just wondering does anyone if I can I could load a diary into an evernote note and then add daily info eg Photo's ,notes ,scanned receipts etc so that I can keep track of my projects as they progress on a daily basis

• Level 5*

Hi

Just wondering does anyone if I can I could load a diary into an evernote note and then add daily info eg Photo's ,notes ,scanned receipts etc so that I can keep track of my projects as they progress on a daily basis

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Several members of the community here keep diaries / journals in Evernote, including me. Everything you said sounds perfectly suited for Evernote. Could you tell us what format your diary is currently in (Word, Excel, text, etc.)?

Hi thanks

It's to do with my work I'm a builder and keep a daily journal on site using a page a day A4 diary what I would like to do is upload the daily information to Evernote ,using jotnot pro or similar,and include what photos I have taken and other documents that have been generated and create a digital project book which I have then for reference .

I may not be able to update everyday so that may complicate entries .

I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any guidance

Regards

• Level 5*

Hi thanks

It's to do with my work I'm a builder and keep a daily journal on site using a page a day A4 diary what I would like to do is upload the daily information to Evernote ,using jotnot pro or similar,and include what photos I have taken and other documents that have been generated and create a digital project book which I have then for reference .

I may not be able to update everyday so that may complicate entries .

I hope this makes sense and would appreciate any guidance

Regards

I think Evernote would be perfect for this because it is ubiquitous (on every device) and can handle multimedia files well. The question will be (as Owyn suggested) HOW best to go about doing this. There are all sorts of methods, and a search of the forums will turn up several ingenious ones.

Here is my suggestion, based on my own experience. Feel free to reject things as you like:

(1) Use an iPad to take notes (I recommend GoodNotes, NoteTaker HD, or Notability because they have a zoom box) and open the notes in Evernote when you are finished. If you don't mind writing on the iPad (it is a different experience -- not always better than pen/paper), then this saves you the trouble of scanning.

(2) Create one journal entry for the day (mine for today is "120819 journal sunday

') in Evernote. Type in your todo list and so forth, and have a place to put note links (links to notes within Evernote) to images, scanned diary entries, etc. The benefit of doing it this way is that you don't have to wade through tons of information (pictures, etc.) every time you want to just look at an entry and see what you did that day. It also makes organization easier. If I search, for example, for 120819 I will find every note that I created that day, so it is all there for me without having to drag things into a single note and mess around with formatting. On the iPhone or other tiny mobile device, this benefit becomes more apparent.

For more about dating and organization, see my website at http://www.princeton...ganization.html

Again, these are only a couple of suggestions, and one approach to organizing your account. There are lots and lots of other options.

Yep. The devil will be in the details.

I was thinking of two constaints.

- The method could be applied historically to existing records (the diary, etc.)

- iPad, etc. may not be rugged or convenient enough for job site use

Some textual content, as GM suggested, would also be useful in the note (Client id, Job/Project id, etc.). This should be at the head of the note if used.

• Level 5*

Yep. The devil will be in the details.

I was thinking of two constaints.

- The method could be applied historically to existing records (the diary, etc.)

- iPad, etc. may not be rugged or convenient enough for job site use

Some textual content, as GM suggested would also be useful in the note (Client id, Job/Project id, etc.). This should be at the head of the note if used.

The iPad is not a rugged device, by any stretch of the imagination, but the right case can make it useful, even on a battlefield :)

Of course, that protection might also limit its usefulness. You'll definitely want to consider your environment / situation. Sometimes, a pen and a pad of paper really are the best tools!

Thank you both

On doing a little research based on your recommendations I have decided to use jot not to create a daily document of what ever arises on that day using an iPhone as a camera and scanner and then saving in a client specific notebook in Evernote

Regards Julian

Camera quality, including macro capability, will be important. Should use iPhone 4S or better.

Genius Scan is a frequently recommended app on the forums. Small investment for a huge gain in quality and convenience of scans.

You might run into the 250 notebook limitation in Evernote. Consider how you would archive inactive clients into a single archive notebook. A client/notebook unique tag could be of great value.

• Level 5*

For quick, short Notes on the run, you can also use the iPhone speech-to-text feature to record the Note.

You can either use Siri to send an email to your EN account, or create a Evernote Note, and tap the mic on the KB to do the conversion. Of course, you can also create a EN audio note.

If you have a Bluetooth headset with noise cancellation, this should work pretty well.

Archived