(Archived) Renaming batch pdfs

llbean

Idea

I've been a bit lazy naming my pdf's prior to importing into EN. Anybody know of a way (hazel,automator,applescript, etc) to rename the pdf attachments to a group of selected notes to reflect the note name. In other words, if I had a note titled "120501 paycheck", but the pdf was labeled a long bunch of giberish, the automated flow would rename the pdf attachment "120501 paycheck".

Thanks-

LL

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Seems like its about the same amount of work to rename the PDF file prior to import, or change the Note Title after import.

So many EN users have found the best practice to be renaming the PDF file prior to import.

I doubt there is any way to automate changing the PDF attachment/file name after import into Evernote. EN Mac does support AppleScript, but attachment renaming is a recently added feature, and I doubt the EN AppleScript API has been updated to reflect this.

• Level 5*

I've been a bit lazy naming my pdf's prior to importing into EN. Anybody know of a way (hazel,automator,applescript, etc) to rename the pdf attachments to a group of selected notes to reflect the note name. In other words, if I had a note titled "120501 paycheck", but the pdf was labeled a long bunch of giberish, the automated flow would rename the pdf attachment "120501 paycheck".

Thanks-

LL

I don't know, but it would have to be a lot of files that need the exact same name in order to make this a time saver. I'd recommend just changing the title yourself. I dump all of my scanned, downloaded, and otherwise obtained PDFs into a folder for processing. When I have time (end of the day, maybe watching a movie or something) I turn on the column view for the folder (third from the left in Lion) and go through naming them. It really takes hardly any time at all, and it is accurate, because I can see a preview image of the PDF right next to it. As an added bonus, getting the title right means I can drag them all at once into Evernote and don't have any more work to do -- the descriptive titles (YYMMDD + keywords) do it for me by lining up chronologically and telling me what the PDF is about.

Archived